3g Card With Infuse?

zillurd

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I was thinking of upgrading to a Samsung Infuse from my current crappy 3g Phone. I was wondering if all I had to do is get the Infuse and put my SIM Card in and I'm good to go? Some people have said that since I don't have a data plan that some features wouldn't work, but I don't really care about all that fancy stuff. If the card does work then would I absolutely have to add a data plan on my contract?

Thanks

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, if they are both carrier branded devices, and different carriers, and the devices are stock, it probably isn't going to work. Not initially. If they are both the same carrier, then you should be ok. Just pop in your sim at the store and check before buying.

But if it's a different carrier...

First, you will need to "unlock" your new device, so it will operate on other carriers networks. There are sites you can google that do this, and they are not very expensive. Basically they send you the unlock code to enter into your device. Google hard enough, and you might find some for free.

If you really sweet talk the girl at the carriers office where you buy the phone, they may do this for you there, as it's totally legal. Tell them you travel abroad quite often, and you need it unlocked. Flowers, sweets, the usual stuff.

You are correct when you run another carriers sim, you probably won't get some features, but I would suspect you will get 3g, 2g at the very least.Wifi should be ok. Probably won't get OTA updates.

Last edited:

zillurd

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, thats a relief to know! Would I have to pay a data plan if I did upgrade my phone, however? I don't need the plan considering I'm surrounded by WiFi everywhere I go

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Can't help you there! We don't use these types of data plans over here, well, we do, but it's a little different. I pay about 13$ per month unlimited 3g. Of course they're getting smarter and copying the "throttling" after 2gb, but I haven't seen it yet. Besides, I do any heavy download through a broadband connection or free Wifi.

You'd just have to check with your carrier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty