Verizon: Expensive charge on bill

steelcurtain11

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So a friend of mine took their smart phone into Verizon because it wasn't receiving text messages or would randomly shut off. The guy at the desk said it was probably a software problem, and instead of him restoring to factory default he just issued a new replacement phone (he said since her contacts weren't backed up he'll do this). About a month later she got a bill for $300 for the issue of the replacement phone. The clerk there mentioned nothing about this bill and it seems like there shouldn't be one since it was software related and not an intention break or accident. After calling about it they said the charging port was broken and that they charged for that, but it charged fine when taking it in and she only mentioned the text message (software) problem, as did the clerk. Calling corporate hasn't done anything and they still say she has to pay this bill because her phone was broken and the insurance doesn't cover it.

Is there anything to do about this? It seems ridiculous. These phone companies seem to get away with whatever they want now a days and just charge people bogus amounts to squeeze as much money out as possible. If after going to the store they exchanged it at and talking to the same clerk or store manager doesn't work, what would the next best step be? BBB?

Also any tips in talking to the store would be appreciated, thanks.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, it does seem strange, but from a legal standpoint, one has to ask the question. Was there any documentation signed upon transfer of phones? I can hardly imagine that this didn't happen. It's the old adage to read what you sign, before you sign.

I would suggest your friend reads the document that they signed. I can't imagine any business doing such a thing without documentation, and only by word of mouth. Or simply put 'blind faith'.

If the document doesn't state anything about being charged for a new phone, then your friend has a good case to get the charges removed. After all, it's up to the carrier to provide the proof.

Wether or not your friend was misled by the sales rep, is pretty much moot if they signed the document without reading it. If they can't get a proper resolution, then take it up the corporate ladder. The thing is, to be persistent.