Rooting a Photon 4G

Bact3ria

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
First of all, Hello.

I am new to this forum, and also new to the Android world (I own a Photon 4G since august and this is my first android phone)

Well like the tittle says I would like to root my photon 4G for several "benefits/advantages" that I've read over the internet. I am interested of using my phone as a router and not paying (I've read this is possible when the phone is rooted, true?). I also read that I can have access to paid applications for free if possible.

I have moderate computer knowledge when it comes to flashing (motherboards, video cards, etc) so I am good following instructions in this subject.

I have a couple of questions when "rooting" the phone.

1) My understanding is that all my contact information is stored in the cloud when using my gmail account, so in case I lose all my information, by using me gmail account i would be able to have all my contacts again, right?

2) After following the rooting process, what comes after this? do i have to backup my phone before? (i don't care if i lose my apps), am I at risk of damaging my phone permanently? if I screw the process, is there a way to wipe the phone and install the original OS again or a cooked one?

I am sure I have more questions but I don't want to write a huge post!

Thank you!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have found some usefull information here

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-photon/111015-root-motorola-photon-4g-without-hd-dock.html

But since I haven't rooted an android before my question is.

After the process what happens? I mean, i follow the instructions and now what?

PS, Haven't rooted the phone yet

Gaining root access allows you to use root-required apps like ad-free android. It also allows you to install a custom recovery and then install custom ROMs.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, always good to ask questions first.

1. You shouldn't lose any data internally by rooting. Well, usually. Although it can happen. Also, along with backing up your contacts to Google, you can always do an "export" to your SD card. But it would probably depend on the rooting method, but I think you're safe with your method. (I've seen worse)

For more info;

[ROOT] Photon Torpedo, dockless root access - xda-developers

2. As with a recovery backup, well, usually we do these things after we root, as usually the rooting process installs a custom recovery which you can access via power off, then press and hold for example Vol+ and power. From here we can make full system backups. The big thing, is to know wether the photon comes with a limited recovery boot. I don't know if it does or not. Some do, some don't.

3. Can you "brick" your device? Yes it's possible. Especially if you don't follow instructions. But true bricking doesn't happen that often, and is usually a result of not following instructions, flashing improper files not for the device.

You always run a risk of doing these things. But just follow directions and you'll be ok. After the root, I suspect you'll have a custom recovery menu so you can do your system backup.

After you root, you can do several things. Like uninstall some of those annoying apps the carriers installed. But ask first before removing them. Don't want to mess with system apps :( And you can install some custom themes, and install apps that require root like file managers for example. But the really big thing, is to install a custom Rom.

Bact3ria

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your help!

I successfully rooted my photon 4G!

The question is... Now what? lol. I installed Adfree and Screen Grabber.

What is the best Tethering app for Photon out in the market?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your help!

I successfully rooted my photon 4G!

The question is... Now what? lol. I installed Adfree and Screen Grabber.

Thank you!

Whoot! Gongratulations! Knew you could do it!

Can't tell you about tethering, hope some of the regulars can tell you.

But the first thing you should do, is make your nandbackup. I'm sure your process included a "custom recovery"? You need to boot to it, and do a recovery backup. Check to see what button combination you need to do to accomplish this.

Second, if you have a couple of nasty carrier apps you've been itching to get rid of, now is the time. Ask first of course.

And how about that boring Bootanimation? Time to customize.

Screen capture utility? Ha! No problem.

File explorer for the internal memory? Root Explorer.

Hate the theme layout from your provider? Try some custom ones.

And for the ultimate, seeing you have one foot into the dark side, come on over. Lets custom Rom that bad boy. Give you a little overclocking :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D And while we're at it, how about we double your battery life?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87