How to unlock carrier on Samsung Galaxy W

andrepd

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Title says it. I want to buy one of these phones, but I'm not gonna if I cant unlock the carrier (be able to insert SIM cards of other carriers). A friend used a program called blade unlock for the ZTE Blade, which gets the IMEI and gives you an unlock code (NCK, i believe it's called), and I found sites online with calculators where you input your IMEI and it gives you an NCK code to input when you turn on your phone. All those utilities were free.

Can I do so with a Galaxy W? I find only online sites which charge for it.

---

Also, is this an easy phone for rooting and stuff? Or is it one of those that you cannot root?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
~andrepd

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If it's an unlock program for a samsung, you could give it a try. My guess, it will either work, or it won't. I highly unlikely think the unlock code it generates, will do any harm. If it's something that doesn't apply, it will just ignore it.

andrepd

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't find any apps to unlock this model, only paid online sites (which I have my suspicions about). It's a fairly recent model (relased Oct '11). I'll keep looking, though. And I'm sure that it won't harm the phone. :)

Also, I can't find any rooting guides. I'm looking on XDA though.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just posted a link about a new rooting product. Seems this works on a ton of devices.

Can't promise it'll work on yours though.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/138307-universal-root-app.html

But if it does, Would appreciate if you posted.

I don;t think it will hurt your device, but, as with all diaclaimers... " We hold no responsibility for bricked devices".. blah blah blah

At worst case, return the phone for replacement. Say it took an update and fubarred it. And boy, what an update it was :D

Seriously, rooting rarely causes a brick, especially with the newer methods.

andrepd

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I haen't got the phone yet. I was trying to figure if it could be carrier unlocked for free before I buy it. But I plan on rooting it once I get it, so I'll post =D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez