resolved*Sync errors when setting up gmail as an exchange account

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Evo 4g
Mik3g Rom
Android 2.3.3
Sense 2.1

Hello all, I am a long time K9 mail user who recently flashed a new rom and was too lazy to reinstall k9, so i figured i'd just use the terrible stock HTC mail and gmail apps until they motivated me to sit down and set up K9. To my surprise both Apps have come a LONG way since I first got my android phone and not only are neither of them terrible any longer, they're getting close to perfect. The gmail app is my favourite but since I need to have my work account on my phone and I don't really like having two mail apps I switched over to the stock HTC mail, especially since I learned you can set up gmail as an exchange account. The problem is it is extremely unreliable at best.

Here is how i set it up:
mail
new account
exchange
username@gmail.com
password

server = m.google.com
domain = google

It works for a while but eventually I get a sync error. if i go into settings and, without changing anything, press save a few times eventually it reconnects. on a reboot it connects. everything is fine but eventually it stops working until i manually go in and fiddle with it. obviously this is suboptimal.

I am using Green Power Premium which shuts off all of my radios when i am not hooked into power and then periodically turns them back on long enough for sycn/push. Naturally I suspected this to be the culprit so I turned it off but i had the same problem. i even went so far as uninstalling it but that didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a feature that is still a work in progress?

If I can get this to work and if they can fix embedded images not showing up properly in mail and 1 or 2 other minor quirks then the stock mail app will be the best app for my needs.

As it were gmail on k9 with push enabled works fine - i just don't like the way it looks nor the lack of threaded conversations, the latter being a deal breaker for me.

thanks all!

Last edited:

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: resolved*Sync errors when setting up gmail as an exchange acc

I figured this out (thanks to some 2 year old post over on the other forums): turn off wifi when you're setting up your exchange accounts. no idea why this fixed my problem, but it did

Setting up Gmail as an exchange address

turn wifi radio off
open mail
menu > more > new account
microsoft exchange activesync
email address: username@gmail.com
password
manual setup

Email : username@gmail.com
server address: m.google.com
domain: google
username: username@gmail.com