Problem scheduling a weekly event on stock Calendar

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
So I want to schedule the following in my stock Google calendar app on my Droid.

I want to set:
-A weekly event from 10am to Noon every Thursday for 8 weeks this summer.

My problem:
- The calendar app doesn't seem to have the capability to set a start date and end date for a weekly, timed event. It only can set a start date & time and end date & time. When you do this it assumes the event is for every day, 24 hours a day.

For example, I need it to have my weekly event start on Thursday, June 10th and end on Thursday, August 12th and run from 10:00 AM to Noon each Thursday.

I can't get the Calendar to do this, so for now I have it set up to start on the date I want it to and run from 10am to Noon every Thursday but with no end date. So it's currently running every thursday indefinitely.

I know Android's engineers could implement a setting change in the Calendar. I wish they could see this and engineer it into the 2.2 OS release!

If anyone can help, I really appreicate it!

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I had this very same problem when I was entering my class schedule into my calendar for the first time. I hope they smarten up the calendar in the future, but until then, there is a workaround:

Enter your event as you want it with the weekly setting, this will create the event for every week, without and end date. Now go and find the first week where you don't have the appointment anymore (that would be the 9th week for you, if I'm correct), and try to delete the event on that week. It will ask you how you want to proceed.

1. Delete all these events - wiping all of them from your calendar
2. Delete only this event - this will only erase this weeks event
3., and this is what you want: Delete this and all future events

Choose #3, and you will be left with your 8 weeks of calendar events, it will wipe all the ones from week 9 and on. I know this is a bit of extra work, but it's the only way I know how to do this. Hope it helps you!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Wow that worked great! Thanks! I just tried it and it worked just like you said. I went to the 9th week and deleted that event and all future events and it worked like I wanted it too. I don't think it was that much extra work, only took a few seconds. I'll use that workaround for the time being. I went back into edit the event and I did notice down at the bottom where it says "Repetition". It now says "Custom...(cannot customize on p)" and then it cuts off where I'm assuming it says 'phone'.

And now that I read that, I just realized, I could probably fix this problem my setting it up while logged into my Gmail account online and opening the calendar that way. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again!

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Yep, just logged into my Gmail on the computer and there is a whole lot more of customization when it comes to the Calendar online. I'll just have to set up unique calendar events like this online.

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I could help!

Yep, just logged into my Gmail on the computer and there is a whole lot more of customization when it comes to the Calendar online. I'll just have to set up unique calendar events like this online.

Well yes, there is the online calendar of course. But at least now you now how to do it on your phone if you have to. :)