Google+ Circles are bloating my Android Contacts File

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC EVO 4G Running Gingerbread

Google automatically created a group in my contacts file (contacts.google.com) called "Circles." It contains everyone in my Google+ circles. Problem is that when I sync my contacts file on Android, it pulls all of these contacts (2,000+) onto my phone. The contacts application allows me to filter them (so they don't display), but these contacts (with their thumbnail images) consume over 30MB of precious storage space on my phone! Note I do NOT have Google+ installed on my phone (memory issue). If I delete that group from my contacts, my understanding is those people will be removed from my Google+ circles.

How can I stop this group from downloading? I will never email or call any of these people and this is making my phone almost unusable (memory issues), if I can't resolve then I'll probably be forced to delete my circles in Google+. Don't want to do that but it's more important that my phone works...

Ideas?

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't know as all my Google+ contacts in my gmail contacts, but I'd have thought you'd be able to untick the sync option for Google+ in "Accounts & Sync" and that would solve the problem.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Go into google plus and uncheck the sync contact feature.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
When I had Google+ on my phone, I looked for the "sync contact" setting in Google+ app but couldn't find it. Maybe it's an ICS feature?

Anyway I then just uninstalled Google+ entirely, zapped by Contacts file, and then resynced contacts. It filled right up again with all those contacts from the Circles group in the cloud. So it has nothing to do with Google+ app on my phone. I think this has to do with Google's efforts to integrate all their offerings into one seamless product.

Chris

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Try Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Syncs -> Your gmail account -> uncheck the "Sync Google+" checkbox.

I think that'll do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo