Havent kept up, but do phones nowadays need data to use GPS?

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For example, if i got a current smart phone. And decided to not use that phone anymore. Can i still use it as a GPS system?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The built-in Satellite radio & Wi-Fi positioning will continue to function. aGPS and location based services will not. Also, if you use Google Maps/Nav, you will need some sort of network connectivity. It's not something I would do, particularly if it were a Samsung branded phone.

CroMacster

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
No you don't. The data in the stock map program is used only for downloading the maps.

If you use the google maps feature to save sections on a map (I believe you can save 10x10mile sections). You can use the GPS in that section without using data. There are also other mappacks that you can download (not part of google maps) which dont use data while in use.

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The built-in Satellite radio & Wi-Fi positioning will continue to function. aGPS and location based services will not. Also, if you use Google Maps/Nav, you will need some sort of network connectivity. It's not something I would do, particularly if it were a Samsung branded phone.

thanks. So what app is out there that i wouldnt need a network connectivity?

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't need a data plan to use wi-fi, so you'll still be able to load and update anything you need to with a wi-fi connection. I can't recommend a specific app, just search gps maps or hiking. There are some that give you the ability to dl and save map data for offline use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall