Just switched over to Android.. need help with some essentials

anthonyxo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
After owning an iPhone for over four years, I decided that I needed something new. M My 4S failed to woo me so I went ahead and purchased a Galaxy S II Skyrocket from a friend. I knew all the ins and outs of the iPhone when it came to jail breaking and so on.. so now I'll be looking into rooting my Droid device.

Can anyone that is familiar with both devices fill me in on some equivalent third party apps.. such as the equivalent of Winterboard, Installous, Cydia, etc? Any other info such as the top roms for the Skyrocket and so and will help as well. :)

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just switched over to Android.. need help with some essential

From what i can get, winterboard is for theme mods? You can do that in android without rooting, by installing any themable third party launcher, or by installing complete themes. Just search the market for themes and you will find plenty. Two launchers, go launcher ex and adw launcher ex.

With android you can install apps from external sources without the restrictions ios has, you can find root apps in the android market with no problems. Something like installous would be applanet.net, but im afraid that goes into the illegal side. You want to get paid apps for free, search google, there are plenty of sites that have them, and you can install them without problems from the device or so, just at least try to help the developer by donating or purchasing the app if you like it.

You should take a look at xda developers, that forum has threads with mosts ROMs, guides, kernels and modems.

anthonyxo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

From what i can get, winterboard is for theme mods? You can do that in android without rooting, by installing any themable third party launcher, or by installing complete themes. Just search the market for themes and you will find plenty. Two launchers, go launcher ex and adw launcher ex.

With android you can install apps from external sources without the restrictions ios has, you can find root apps in the android market with no problems. Something like installous would be applanet.net, but im afraid that goes into the illegal side. You want to get paid apps for free, search google, there are plenty of sites that have them, and you can install them without problems from the device or so, just at least try to help the developer by donating or purchasing the app if you like it.

You should take a look at xda developers, that forum has threads with mosts ROMs, guides, kernels and modems.

Ah the good ol' xda days. I would spend hours hacking up my Windows Mobile phones back in the day. Can't wait to check out what they have cooking for Droid.

As far as installing roms, would I need a rooted device first?

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

Ah the good ol' xda days. I would spend hours hacking up my Windows Mobile phones back in the day. Can't wait to check out what they have cooking for Droid.

As far as installing roms, would I need a rooted device first?

If its external manual updating to a samsung ROM, you dont need root. Flashing modem files and kernels from the computer also does not require root access.
For installing third party ROMs, you will need root, and something called clockworkmod recovery. For flashing kernels, modem files and any type of ROM from the device itself will also require root access.

You can root in two popular ways, installing an insecure kernel then using something like superoneclick to root the device. Or, flashing an already rooted kernel.

Here is the direct link to the skyrocket forums
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket SGH-I727 - xda-developers

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Here are a bunch of really great resources to check out as well:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html - Must read for new and experienced users.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html - to help reduce the Apple cravings ;)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/ - Galaxy S II Skyrocket Forum

http://forums.androidcentral.com/skyrocket-rooting-roms-hacks/ - Galaxy S II ROM's and Hacks Forum

Hope this helps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

You might also want APK Installer, free from the Market. You can find a lot of things as downloadable .apk files that aren't in the Market or on Amazon.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

You might also want APK Installer, free from the Market. You can find a lot of things as downloadable .apk files that aren't in the Market or on Amazon.

Just as a reminder to rukbat and any others - Side loading is standard now, even in AT&T phones, you don't need a "special App" for that. Downloading apps from unknown sources can open you up to a variety of problems/viruses/exploits that could give you a really bad hair day. If you're trying to save $2 by not paying for an app you need to reconsider some things.

Not a sermon, just food for thought.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Another thing to consider is that not everyone uploads apps to the Market or Amazon. We've been "side loading" apps since bulletin boards ran on CP/M.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member