Need help with notifications while display is off

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for some help with dealing with notifications while the display is off. I don't use AOD and don't want to. I prefer my display to be complete off.

So I know you can use the edge light features, but I don't think they are that good. What I want is a notification light like what my note 8 had where a colored light would flash every few seconds letting me know I had a text or email, etc. The edge light only flashes a few times and that's it, no more flashing. I have to turn on my phone to see if there's a notification. If no notification light, is there a way to keep the edge light flashing every seconds like the old notification light?

The other thing is, certain notifications such as txt messages and Facebook messenger messages pop up in a small format on the display while the display is off. Is there a way to prevent those notification messages from popping up on my display while it's off? I personally don't like it and I think it can be a privacy issue if the phone is around others.

Another issue I'm having is that I'm not getting yahoo app (and maybe even gmail) emails coming through while my display is off. I have to turn on my display and unlock the lock screen and then the emails come through. Any way to fix this?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can enable notification reminders in the Notifications settings, under 'Advanced Settings'. That way the edge lighting can re-appear periodically if you haven't cleared your notifications. There are 3rd party apps on like Holey Light or NoLED (not sure if they're still active or support UI3) that can emulate an LED on your screen with different degrees of customization.

As for the display lighting up when you receive a message, that's only something you can change if the app supports it. Not sure why FB Messenger does it (it doesn't on mine), but for texts and calls that's the standard behavior for most stock apps. Some apps allow you to turn that option on/off.

For apps not notifying you, try removing them from the apps that get put to sleep and make sure they're allowed to access data in the background (as well as checking that the notification options are correctly set and the SYNC options aren't turned off).

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
You can enable notification reminders in the Notifications settings, under 'Advanced Settings'. That way the edge lighting can re-appear periodically if you haven't cleared your notifications. There are 3rd party apps on like Holey Light or NoLED (not sure if they're still active or support UI3) that can emulate an LED on your screen with different degrees of customization.

As for the display lighting up when you receive a message, that's only something you can change if the app supports it. Not sure why FB Messenger does it (it doesn't on mine), but for texts and calls that's the standard behavior for most stock apps. Some apps allow you to turn that option on/off.

For apps not notifying you, try removing them from the apps that get put to sleep and make sure they're allowed to access data in the background (as well as checking that the notification options are correctly set and the SYNC options aren't turned off).

I use this AOD Notifier but am not sure if it will work with new phone. Gonna try it here in a bit.