Car Panel randomly starts

kirok1999

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says, the car panel will randomly show up, like last night at 3:00am I woke up to the light and Car Panel was on. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it comes on. I've been deleting apps in reverse order of installation to see if that fixes it. Verizon's predictable answer is a factory reset. I have done several cold boots with no luck. The real problem is Car Dock kicks me off the net, turns on WiFi and won't let the phone sleep so if it happens in my pocket the battery is dead quick.

Another really weird thing happened too. I was tethered using PdaNet and looked down at my phone, which had been dark, and it was like I was looking at someone else's phone. Wallpaper was different, apps were completely different, it looked like a totally different phone. I un-tethered and it came back to my setup and has been fine since, except for the Car Panel problem. Any ideas on what might have happened?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
What type of phone is it? Perhaps whatever mechanism for switching into dock mode is somehow being triggered. Isn't it magnets or something? Got any magnets in your pocket?

Also, you mentioned a factory reset, did you do one? If you did and it didn't work, call your carrier if you are under warranty. I mean, if that is happening, and, you said it was like looking at someone else's phone at one point, sounds like your phone is really messed up. If you didn't do a factory reset, are you against one?

Reactions: kirok1999

kirok1999

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I haven't done a factory reset yet and the phone is an HTC Thunderbolt. I may have found an answer somewhat related to what you suggest. I have used it to track my running using AllsportGPS. After about 70 miles of bouncing in my pocket I think a solder joint may have come loose and is shorting out. When the phone connects to the car dock I think it shorts 2 pins and that activates car dock mode on the phone. It is not under warranty so I found a used Bolt for pretty cheap. Of course now it hasn't gone to car dock mode once since I bought the phone. It knows........

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Hmm, yea, I could see it bouncing around like that maybe causing some problems. Maybe you should consider getting one of those straps for your arm or something.

Well, I guess it sounds like your issue worked out, even if it involved you getting a new phone. At least now you have a backup in case one breaks. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38