how to completely remove google from android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am looking to completely remove anything google from within my os
-
hello, a while back I was reading on what files to delete within my filesystem (2.3)
anyone know what to delete?
I remember one file lost me the marketplace - I am okay with that!
The heartbeat that google sends back and fourth - that file needs to go!

thanks so much in advance!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Everything from Google?

Well, I think it's impossible since you're always going to have at least a Google account to even have the phone work.

I am not really sure why anyone would want to do this. No Google search? No Voice Actions? No YouTube (yes, Google owns that). No Gmail? No calendar? No Maps? No Google Navigation? Heck, you'd even have to remove the Play Store.

It's an Android phone...it integrates with Google services (the same way an iPhone integrates with Apple services). If you want Android, you're in the Google ecosystem, if you don't, you probably need to go elsewhere.

This is not meant to offend, but it seems like such a wild out there request, I have to wonder if you're serious, and if so, why? Is it a tinfoil hat scenario?

Rcrdude64

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
At a first look I thought you were looking for a way to just wipe the entire OS so that all you have is an open shell to play with.

Evil Evo

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to completely remove anything google from within my os
-
hello, a while back I was reading on what files to delete within my filesystem (2.3)
anyone know what to delete?
I remember one file lost me the marketplace - I am okay with that!
The heartbeat that google sends back and fourth - that file needs to go!

thanks so much in advance!

Pre-order an iPhone 5, which you could do starting yesterday. Done.[1]

You're welcome!

[1] Android phones by their nature and source are dependent upon Google online services and sites. Since you've just joined and only posted once, we have to presume you are an Android beginner, so this might not've been obvious. But to be fair, the iPhone 4S and 5 are superb phones, and if you only want "a smartphone" they're a good (and now economical) choice (IIRC the 4S is down to $99 on contract).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

You're welcome!

[1] Android phones by their nature and source are dependent upon Google online services and sites. Since you've just joined and only posted once, we have to presume you are an Android beginner, so this might not've been obvious. But to be fair, the iPhone 4S and 5 are superb phones, and if you only want "a smartphone" they're a good (and now economical) choice (IIRC the 4S is down to $99 on contract).
well then OP might want to remove all apple service then Op could order a windows Phone and then would want to remove all Microsoft service.
then Symbian and would want to remove all Nokia service. then BB then would want to remove all RIm service!!! oh wait.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Snarky replies from the people above aside. They are right. The Android operating system is itself a Google service. Even if your ignore the operating system, all of these things are natively tied in with Google: Calendar, Contacts/People, Gallery, Gmail, Google Search/Voice Search, Maps/Navigation, Play Store (inluding Play Books, Magazines, Movies, and Music, Talk, Youtube, even the Browser on some models. If you deleted all that stuff then you wouldn't have much of a smartphone.

Asking to remove all of Google from your Android phone is like asking to remove all Apple stuff from an iPhone.

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
hello - thanks for the replies!
I should have been more specific!
I don't like the constant heartbeat signals with google confirming my phone's status on anything. < Hoping to locate and delete that file
I am hoping to keep maps / navigation only ...
applications I'm looking for help deleting:
- google + app
- google + services
- google messenger
- google gmail app
- google local app
- google play store app
- google youtube app
- google calender (if phone can use network sync independent for time/date)

also any ideas for:
- sprint worldwide
- sprint mobile wallet
--------------------------------------------------
I am on 2.3 and hoping you can help me get my signal status indicator from blue to grey! (no connection with google)
That's just how I want my phone!!

cheers, appreciate all the support so far!

Last edited:

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
also - there's no chance of me switching from android! - Just looking for some input if this is possible / anyone has already done what I'm attempting to do.
I'm aware I can simply load a stock rom and not install the google file pack for most of these - but there are some applications I want to use.

thanks again!

Last edited:

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the constant heartbeat signals with google conforming my phone's status on anything. < Hoping to locate and delete that file
- google +
- google messenger
- gmail
- google local
- google play store

also any ideas for:
- sprint worldwide
- sprint mobile wallet
I am on 2.3 and hoping you can help me get my signal status indicator from blue to grey! (no connection with google)

To delete that 'file' might not be such a good idea.:rolleyes:

- google +
- google messenger
- gmail
Can most probably be disabled on Android 4+. Since you're using 2.3 on an unknown phone, I can't say anything further.:confused::eek:

- sprint worldwide
- sprint mobile wallet
These should go away with root theoretically.

hoping you can help me get my signal status indicator from blue to grey! (no connection with google)
Post some screenshots please if possible.

Author Of NoobTech
http://wp.me/2uu9r

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the constant heartbeat signals with google confirming my phone's status on anything. < Hoping to locate and delete that file
- google +
- google messenger
- gmail
- google local
- google play store

also any ideas for:
- sprint worldwide
- sprint mobile wallet

I don't know about "heartbeat signals". But some (all?) of the apps that you want to get rid of are system apps and can't be uninstalled without root. If you root your phone you should be able to uninstall those apps, but I don't know what the implications are of removing core Google apps. I could imagine it causing problems.

You should probably ask for input from a ROM developer. Or just make a nandroid backup and try it. If it causes problems just restore your backup.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to get rid of that stuff? Privacy?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

You're welcome!

I tried the iphone , not for me...
Example why: Mis-spell in a text message on ios...(iphone 4 at time)
You can't simply; click in the word and have the scrolling cursor land where you need to backspace, and enter the correct letter....
You must pinch with two fingers in order to zoom, then you can place the scrolling cursor. Even had an in store-rep told me, there's no way around it, that was icing on the cake.

/endrantregardingsimpleiosflaws

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
re: data / signal indicator grey/blue on 2.3

hoping you can help me get my signal status indicator from blue to grey! (no connection with google)
Post some screenshots please if possible.

Author Of NoobTech
NoobTech

On android 2.3 the data indicator / signal strength meter is either grey or blue - when you are connected to google the connection is blue. When you first power up your radio from airplane mode the signal bar is at first grey, and then turns blue!

I have root - however the above applications can't be uninstalled - at least not until I know the file names, need to delete the files manually I'm assuming.

Research is under-way!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about "heartbeat signals".

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to get rid of that stuff? Privacy?

I read a while back somewhere every ten minutes or so google and your phone communicate - your phone sends a pluse to the google servers letting it know various information about your device.
Google sends data back and that's the heartbeat between your device and google.
There's a lot of background data that gets sent.

I'm not sure where I saw this and lost my bookmark :/

Not wearing any reynold's yet!
However
Yes I'm concerned with my privacy - I'm on a mission to minimize google's interaction with my phone, and free up memory!

notforios

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
well then OP might want to remove all apple service then Op could order a windows Phone and then would want to remove all Microsoft service.
then Symbian and would want to remove all Nokia service. then BB then would want to remove all RIm service!!! oh wait.

yes sorry for the confusion! I should have posted remove specific google installed services/features/applications! great input!

- - - Updated - - -

At a first look I thought you were looking for a way to just wipe the entire OS so that all you have is an open shell to play with.

Evil Evo

Is there a quick way to edit rom's for this purpose?

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have root - however the above applications can't be uninstalled - at least not until I know the file names, need to delete the files manually I'm assuming.

If you already have root then removing those apps is pretty easy. Two options come to mind.

1) You can use an app like Titanium Backup to uninstall system apps. I'm not sure if that feature requires the paid version or not. I've never used it, but I know it's there. EDIT: I think you can also convert system apps to user apps and uninstall like you normally would.

2) You can manually delete the apk files with a root capable file explorer like Root Explorer (paid) or ES File Explorer (free). System apps are stored in /system/app/. Usually the names of the files are pretty obvious. For example Gmail is gmail.apk. I use ES File Explore and it even shows you the icon for the apk. Manually deleting the apk files won't remove any data that's stored elsewhere.

WARNING: Uninstall these system apps at your own risk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I think your signal bar will be blue even with all those services removed. I think the blue just means the phone has an established internet connection. Grey means it has a tower connection, but no data yet. Kinda like being connected to a wifi router that isn't connected to the net. What you want to look for is the up/down arrows by your signal indicator because those are what tell you when data is actually transferring.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Just turn off Google account sync in Accounts & Sync. You shouldn't have to Frankenstein your phone to do that.

The fact that you're asking this and are ready to start deleting system files suggests to me that you should STOP.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a lot of work to save yourself a little data. Are you on a zero MB plan?

I agree with the above poster. You should stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey