Android tablet partitions and added SD card.

joemardo1

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks,

I got this little tablet on amazon and would like some advice about the 16gb micro sd card I added.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M010S-...045006-0110105?tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2218636

Its not a bad little tablet from what I have seen so far, hope it lasts.

It has ICS os and came with 2 partitions one of around 1 gb and the other partition just over 7gb (funnily enough named as sd but since I had to reset the tablet due to home screen not working (was trying out plenty of apps) it is now simply called internal storage)

I have now added a 16gb micro sd card and would be greatful for any answers to the following.

1 Once I have the system partition full, will any further data be automatically entered into the second internal partition of over 7gb or is this partition now useless, since its not called sd anymore?

(I do know if I go into apps on the system it gives me the option of moving the app to the sd card, but as stated above how can I move data to the second internal 7gb partition?)

2 As my tablet is not rooted, is there any way to do a batch image of all the apps without having to restore them one by one again from a backup I have done with an app for that purpose?

3 Could my tablet be bricked if the firmware installed that allows the tablet to be reset to factory settings became corrupt?

Totally new to all of this android stuff so thanks for all the help.

Martin57

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1 Once I have the system partition full, will any further data be automatically entered into the second internal partition of over 7gb or is this partition now useless, since its not called sd anymore?
Most apps that move apps only use one partition on the SD card.

(I do know if I go into apps on the system it gives me the option of moving the app to the sd card, but as stated above how can I move data to the second internal 7gb partition?)
You can repartition the SD card to one 16GB partition. (Save anything in the current partition to your computer first, repartition the card, then move all the files back.)

2 As my tablet is not rooted, is there any way to do a batch image of all the apps without having to restore them one by one again from a backup I have done with an app for that purpose?
Image no (an image isn't copying files). But there are apps that will back up files.

3 Could my tablet be bricked if the firmware installed that allows the tablet to be reset to factory settings became corrupt?
It could get bricked if any firmware gets corrupted. In some cases you can recover from bricking.[/QUOTE]

Totally new to all of this android stuff so thanks for all the help.
Think Linux and some things will become apparent.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The way Android organizes storage can be confusing. The 1 GB partition you're referring to is the application memory, where apps you install are stored. The 7 GB partition that was called "SD card" and is now called "internal storage" (they're the same thing) is the onboard storage memory--Android refers to this as an SD card, even though it is not removable. If you use a 3rd party file manager, you'd see that the directory is /mnt/sdcard/. The 16 GB microSD card that you inserted would be referred to as an external SD card, and the directory is /mnt/sdcard-ext/.

Since your device gives you the option to move an app to internal storage, it means you can move most of the app file from the 1GB partition to the 7 GB partition. This is one way to avoid a low memory warning if you have a ton of apps installed, because you only have that 1 GB of memory where you can install apps. When you move the app to internal storage, the key part of it still remains behind in the app memory, but it takes up much less space, since most of it has been moved to internal storage. You can only move downloaded apps to internal storage, not system apps or "bloatware" apps that came preinstalled on your device.

Actual data that your apps use (e.g., a book you downloaded for an e-reader app) typically get saved to the 7 GB internal storage partition (which, as mentioned above, is also confusingly referred to as SD card by the system--this does NOT mean your microSD card that you inserted). If you use up all 7 GB, the system will not automatically switch to your external microSD card. Some but not all apps will give you the choice of where to store data (internal storage vs. external SD)--the best example is with the stock camera app. Look under the camera's Settings menu to find the option.

You didn't mention if the microSD card you inserted shows up in Settings->Storage. I suspect that if you went to that menu right now, you'd see "Application Storage" (the 1 GB partition), "Internal Storage" (the 7 GB partition), and "SD Card" (your 16 GB microSD). If you don't see "SD Card," see if there's an option to "Mount SD Card." Most of the time, devices will automatically mount SD cards after they're inserted, but not always. (Remember, though, that when you want to remove the SD card, always Unmount it first, from the Storage menu.)

I mostly use my external SD card for movies and music that I transfer from my PC.

joemardo1

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much indeed for your very helpful replies. So really the external sd card (which my tablet see ok) is mainly used to for media that I put on it, rather than apps.

I take it I just download a file manager app so as to browse the card to be able to access the media.

Thanks again
Joe

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you have media on the external card, you don't necessarily need a file manager to access it. Media player apps should give you the option of scanning the card. But it's still a good idea to have a good file manager app to easily locate and manipulate files. I recommend Astro File Manager, ES File Explore, or Total Commander (all free).

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

jackie5906

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Basic Andriod Info for my LePan11 tablet

Hi folks. Being a complete novice to tablets, androids and "ice creams", I'm hoping someone could be kind enough to answer a couple of questions.

1 I am amassing a large number of 'logout-xx.srf' files. xx at the moment in #36. Can you tell me what these files are for? about? and can I delete them?

2 I also get 'downloadfile-3.txt' files. again, Can you tell me what these files are for? about? and can I delete them?

3 Can you suggest a book that would give me the basics of working with an adroid device.

thanks for any help you can give.....jackie

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non