How to improve "Moving Time" accuracy in My Tracks

BariSax

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I use My Tracks to track and log my speed on my bike commute. I calibrate it against the bike computer, and have found that My Tracks is not doing a particularly good job calculating the Moving Time. Even when stopped at a stoplight, the Moving Time increases in fits and spurts.

This was a minor issue on my Nexus One (running the previous release of My Tracks), but seems significantly worse on my new phone (HTC One X, running the newest version of My Tracks).

Does anyone know enough about how the Moving Time calculation is made to know if I can adjust any settings to get a more accurate reading? Possible settings include:

• Time interval
  • Distance interval
  • Max interval
  • GPS accuracy

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this as well, but it even does it on my standalone GPS (A Garmin 60CSx that I use for hiking).

Because GPS is not entirely accurate it may think it's moving. What I mean is on a good day, GPS can be accurate anywhere from 5 to 20 feet, so everytime it calculates your position, it could think you're 10-40 feet away from where you were the last time it did. I can zoom in on a spot on my Garmin where I'm standing still and my track is all over the place from everytime it calculates, even though I haven't moved.

So my guess is a lot of it depends on how good your GPS signal is and how much tolerance for the deviation in readings the developer has built into the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii