Noob questions

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am about to abandon years of BB use for a Droid X, I believe, and I need some clarification before I move forward.

1) I have several G-Mail accounts and a Live account that I use. Can I set them up so each one is its own inbox?

2) How are the basic FB and Twitter apps? The FB app on a BB is craptacular at best. I have been able to enjoy a great combo app called SocialScope, so I am hoping there are some apps that are gems.

3) The BB was always left behind by big provider names like ESPN. Are the ESPN apps better than just a plain old mobile website?

4) When buying apps in the market, are they charged to your wireless account or do you use PayPal for payment?

5) I do not use Exchange or GMail sync for my contacts, I synchronize with Outlook via a cable. It is vital that I be able to have my Outlook contacts and calendar synced. Is this doable out of the box or is there third part software needed.

Sorry if I missed these answers on my searches.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
1. Yes
2. Average. Its best if you download a 3rd party app
3. Scorecenter is great so is the new ESPN radio. As far as an app that's like the mobile web version, no. Stick with the mobile website.
4. Its charged through your google account which you setup in the beginning.
5. I am a GMail sync kinda guy so I don't know the answer to this question. But I'll state my opinion and say that Gmail sync is 10x easier.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
2. Bloo is good for Facebook. Twidroyd is good for Twitter.

5. I agree that switching over to the Goog would be the best option. It might not be a painless experience, but the integration with Android and third party calendar apps (like Jorte, which I think is the best calendar app for Android) is awesome.

I'm not knocking on the way you do things but OTA syncing is the way of the future. Make a change on your phone and it syncs automatically with Google (which is accessable from any computer with an internet connection). Make a change with Google from the computer and it syncs automatically with the phone.

I think that there is a way to export your contacts from outlook and import them to Google. I would have to do a search unless someone else knows off the top of their head.

Droid R5-D4

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
2) How are the basic FB and Twitter apps? The FB app on a BB is craptacular at best. I have been able to enjoy a great combo app called SocialScope, so I am hoping there are some apps that are gems.

You can request an invite to socialscope (as you did for BB) and select andriod as your device...hopefully doesn't take 5 months to get the invite like it did for me and my BB. :D

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of what all of you have offered for opinions on my method of sync, I don't have a choice about using a cable to sync with outlook for contacts and calendar. I am not allowed to sync OTA to my corporate server from a personal device, and I am not getting a device from them. Google sync is not an option for the exchange information either.

It is vital that I be able to sync via a cable or bluetooth.

gemmaphantom

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
basic help needed pls

Hi

I recently got a Samsung Wave and am having real problems downloading apps specifically Appbrain. I have tried doing the QR code thing using i-nigma, upcode and beegett, and also by putting the url in the phone browser but nothing works can anyone tell me a foolproof way to get this app or a decent qr code scanner and kidspeak instructions on what to do with it.

Thanks in advance

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of what all of you have offered for opinions on my method of sync, I don't have a choice about using a cable to sync with outlook for contacts and calendar. I am not allowed to sync OTA to my corporate server from a personal device, and I am not getting a device from them. Google sync is not an option for the exchange information either.

I believe that the app/program called The Missing Sync will give you this functionality. It might be worth looking into that program for your needs.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I recently got a Samsung Wave and am having real problems downloading apps specifically Appbrain. I have tried doing the QR code thing using i-nigma, upcode and beegett, and also by putting the url in the phone browser but nothing works can anyone tell me a foolproof way to get this app or a decent qr code scanner and kidspeak instructions on what to do with it.

Thanks in advance

The Wave runs the Bada OS that Samsung created. Totally different than Android. Wrong place to go to look for apps for this OS.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Search the existing threads. IIRC HTC bundles a sync solution with at least some devices. For other Android devices, you'll need some sort of sync solution for Outlook and there are several options that have been discussed here and on other Android forum sites. I've only casually glanced at them since I'm on Exchange (ActiveSync) but I don't recall any standing out and I do recall people griping about most of the options out there. Good luck!

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the guidance and the opinions.

I have decided to set up Google sync on my BB and my PC to test it. I have sync set up on the PC to handle the calendar, since that is all I can do. I have the BB set up to sync contacts and calendar with Google. Seems to be working quite well. This would be an acceptable solution.

Now I just need to convince the wife to let me get the device this week...sigh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez