Need to disable call out and SMS

Tooky0002

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

It's my brother's birthday in a week and he wants a new phone. The problem is, he has downs syndrome and makes lots of nuisance calls. I keep asking him if he wants something different but he's got his mind set on it and I can't persuade him to get somthing else. Unfortunately, the SIM comes with prepaid airtime and doesn't expire for a month! I've got no worries about him having a phone as long as he doesn't have access to the dialer and messages features. Can anybody think of any way I can prevent him making any outgoing calls (to anybody) and sending text messages? The messages he sends are rather embarrassing lol. Can anyone recommend a reliable android app which will take care of the problem for me? I've had a look at some, but from the reviews, they don't always to do what they claim they do. Could really do with some advice asap and will really appreciate any help.

Thanks

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
For calls, you can accomplish what you're looking for by using Fixed Dialing Numbers (FDN). This is a whitelist of sorts that is stored on the SIM card itself. FDN restricts all outgoing calls to specified, pre-approved phone numbers/contacts, but has no effect on incoming calls or outgoing calls to emergency numbers. To set up FDN on most Android phones, go into the Dialer (Phone app) > Settings > Fixed Dialing Numbers. You'll need to set up a PIN in order to configure the settings.

Here's more information:

As for SMS restrictions, that isn't quite as simple. You can consider a third-party text messaging app from the Play Store; there may be one which allows for similar PIN or contact-based restrictions. Either way, you'll want to hide the stock messaging application by going into Settings > Apps > All > [Stock SMS App] > Disable. This will hide it from the homescreen and app drawer.

Though I don't know the details of your situation, and I don't presume to know what the best course of action for you is, I would be cautious with trying to disable calling/texting functionality altogether. Leaving emergency number support intact is always a good idea. ;)

Tooky0002

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi Patrick,

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it and the fixed dialling sounds exactly what I'm after. Assuming it will work, it will solve the problem. I only need to place these restrictions whilst his airtime credit is available. As soon as a month passes and it expires, I can re-enable full functionality on the phone. As you can imagine, his nuisance calls don't just get himself into trouble, it affects me too and i worry about someone getting angry and then having the police knocking at my door. After all, it's harrassment. I'm sure many of you are thinking "Well just don't buy him a phone then" but even though he's disabled, he's still an adult (31) and it's not easy telling someone what they can and can't do. He doesn't see himself as being nuisance, he just can't help himself and doesn't realise the excessiveness of his calling. Unfortunately, as I said you can't buy a phone from a retailer without buying credit and I can't buy just the handset online as he likes to choose his own from the shop. He's not daft is he lol

Anyway, I'll give the above a try. Thanks again!

tacanman

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok we have a similar challenge we want to restrict staff from using a company mobile except to make calls to numbers stored in the address book. The phone that they have bought is a Samsung Keystone 2 which is on a pay as you go network. I tried to follow the directions given above but cant seem to find the right place. Any help appreciated.
Thanks