Old Droid X, now what?

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid X that is no longer in use as a phone, I switched to an iPhone on my renewal. Nothing against Android, it's just that the iPhone fits my device needs better. However, I don't want to let the Droid go to waste. So, I was thinking I'd do a factory reset and set it up as a "set top box" for online content to my TV and/or get an OBDII reader and GPS software for it and use it as a multifunction car computer (navigation and diagnostic code reader).

So today, I went into the device settings and did a factory reset. Now I'm stuck on the phone activation screen. I cannot activate it as a phone, because I'm not using it as a phone anymore. So now what?

It's running the latest (and last?) firmware available for it via Verizon, 2.3.4. I am now not afraid to try re-rooting and/or custom roms on it, as it is a spare device. If it bricks, I've lost nothing. Where do I start?

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I recently had the same problem. I switched from a Droid x to an S3, with the idea of using my Droid as an alarm clock. I did a factory reset and was stuck just like you. All you have to do is go to Verizon and tell them you just want to get the android system up and running. What they'll do is switch the active line back to the Droid to run the setup, then switch it back to your iphone. I did this while in the store. There is no charge and takes only a couple of minutes.

boovish

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
What you can do without going to the verizon store is go to the screen with android and hand and then tap and hold each corner for like 2 seconds from top left to bottom left

dragon718

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
To get past the activation screen you have to touch the corners of the screen in clockwise order. So you would touch top left, top right, bottom left, and last bottom right. When touching the bottom corners you touch right above the gray icons at the bottom that say activate and emergency dial. It may take a couple trys to get it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
To get past the activation screen you have to touch the corners of the screen in clockwise order. So you would touch top left, top right, bottom left, and last bottom right. When touching the bottom corners you touch right above the gray icons at the bottom that say activate and emergency dial. It may take a couple trys to get it.
Thanks.

Yeah, it did take several tries. I was about to give up when suddenly it moved on to Backup Assistant.