Battery drops instantly on data connection

alfonsmcbobr

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hai,
i have this strange issue with my old Xperia X10 (about 3 years old, running 2.3.3). The phone runs fine, fully charged can last two days with normal usage (as always). I can play any games for hours before the battery goes dead. But as soon as I turn on data connection, both wifi or mobile network, it runs about 2 minutes and suddenly "turning off" window appears and the phone shuts down. When I start up the phone again, the battery is about 20-30% lower than before the shutdown (depends on the percentage, can drop to zero if charged at 50%) and shuts down again after couple seconds (i can barely type in the PIN code). But if I manage to turn the data connection off again in those few seconds, it doesn't shut down anymore and runs normally again. Weird thing is that in following hour after this incident, the battery slowly recharges itsself back to the original state (or little below it, just as it normally would). Here is the pic:
device-2013-09-11-235140.png

I guess its not faulty battery or anything, probably its software related but I can't imagine a sw that could drain the battery so fast (in seconds), almost like if it short-circuited the battery.

Any idea what might be the cause?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hai,
i have this strange issue with my old Xperia X10 (about 3 years old, running 2.3.3). The phone runs fine, fully charged can last two days with normal usage (as always). I can play any games for hours before the battery goes dead. But as soon as I turn on data connection, both wifi or mobile network, it runs about 2 minutes and suddenly "turning off" window appears and the phone shuts down. When I start up the phone again, the battery is about 20-30% lower than before the shutdown (depends on the percentage, can drop to zero if charged at 50%) and shuts down again after couple seconds (i can barely type in the PIN code). But if I manage to turn the data connection off again in those few seconds, it doesn't shut down anymore and runs normally again. Weird thing is that in following hour after this incident, the battery slowly recharges itsself back to the original state (or little below it, just as it normally would). Here is the pic:

I guess its not faulty battery or anything, probably its software related but I can't imagine a sw that could drain the battery so fast (in seconds), almost like if it short-circuited the battery.

Any idea what might be the cause?

I don't know how, but is there a way to clear cache in recovery? There may be a data conflict between updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Always a good thing to check. From what I can tell on the web, you can get into the Recovery Menu by powering down (and it would probably be a good idea to pull the battery for about 10 seconds), then press the Power key AND the Back key together, and keep the Back key down until you see the Recovery Menu (usually in very small print). Select "Wipe Cache Partition" if the option is present. Then select "Reboot System Now."

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking that there is a conflict between modem updates. If true, your OS gets confused to which modem code to follow and falls back to what it is supposed to do when confused....reboot.

Last edited:

alfonsmcbobr

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Holding BACK key while powering up the phone doesn't get me to any recovery menu...is it in the stock version? I haven't done any rooting or any kind of that stuff.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What it sounds like to me is a particular battery fault called a dendrite. When you hit the battery with the additional drain of the data radio, the voltage drops (you can see it in the graph) to the point that the phone shuts down. The normal lifespan of a properly conditioned LiIon battery is about 24-30 months, so 3 years is pretty good. See if the dealer will let you put a battery from his phone into yours. If that works, you need a new battery.

alfonsmcbobr

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
What it sounds like to me is a particular battery fault called a dendrite. When you hit the battery with the additional drain of the data radio, the voltage drops (you can see it in the graph) to the point that the phone shuts down. The normal lifespan of a properly conditioned LiIon battery is about 24-30 months, so 3 years is pretty good. See if the dealer will let you put a battery from his phone into yours. If that works, you need a new battery.

Yea, that makes sense. I'll try a different battery and see how it goes.
Thanks for help :)