Does anyone know what this app is??

Frenzee

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about operating systems or smart phones, but hopefully I'm in the right place and someone can help me out here.

For the record I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 os4.1.2...

This morning I went into my task manager to close out all of the extra stuff I wasn't using. While I was doing that, I noticed an application under the "downloaded" tab and I don't understand what it does. It simply reads "Client", and when I go into the App info it says "Version Client v.1.4.3" and I can see that it's been granted permissions to pretty much every major part of the phone (camera control, reading & editing texts, read web history etc.). When I began messing with the permissions I saw that it was running as "com.client.Appa".

Everything else under my "Downloaded" tab are applications that I physically chose to download, but I have no idea what this is. I've googled the heck out of it with no luck.

Can anyone explain to me what this is? Like I said, I'm not tech savvy at all, so for all I know it could be completely common and harmless, or it could be something fishy. Thanks in advance for the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central? Did you install some kind of VPN? Might be a client app for that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You have your answer (and probably want to remove the app), but one little note here:
This morning I went into my task manager to close out all of the extra stuff I wasn't using.
In Windows you want as much free RAM as possible. You close all the apps you aren't using, you even use Task Manager to close things you don't need, just to free up RAM.

In Android, unused RAM is wasted RAM. Android has a task manager as part of the operating system. It moves apps in and out of RAM as it needs to. (It also keeps the current state of an app when it moves it out, so if you choose an app from the recently used app list [those apps aren't running, they're not necessarily in RAM, they were just used recently], it "opens" in the same condition it was in when you stopped using it. It's Android's way of multitasking, since normally you can have only one window open at a time.)

But if you want your phone to run more efficiently, stop using a task manager. The app you close may just be needed in a few minutes, and the phone has to spend time and battery moving it back into RAM. If Android needs RAM to move something into, and it "thinks" that "that" app won't be used in a while, it'll move it out of RAM - but keep its current state. It's like hibernating your laptop - everything comes back just the way you left it. It's just done on an app-by-app basis in Android.