So I have recently made the switch from Treo 755p to a HTC Droid Eris.

There is not much in the way of documentation that comes with the phone, and the downloadable documentation from HTC is only a little bit better.

I am trying to figure out all that my phone can do but I am not all that up on the recourses for android users (found lots for android developers). I want basic stuff like what do all the icons mean, how can I turn my phone service off while keeping my wifi on, things like that. Not sure how much of this is device specific and how much is android specific.

Also how do I find out which version of Android I am running. I think I am running 1.5 (that is the firmware version # according to my "about phone" panel).

I will gladly take any other advice you all have for an android newbie.

thanks
    -spg
    11-23-2009 10:54 PM
    The best place to start would be our HTC Eris forum here.

Enjoy your device!
    11-23-2009 11:17 PM
    11-24-2009 07:45 PM
    Me too! Me too! I would like to start at the beginning, tho'...how do you begin to organize your contacts for exporting into Google so that you're ready? Isn't there some A-Z explanation of the process for those of us switching over to Android? I'm a few weeks from getting the phone, so just want to prepare now.
    11-29-2009 01:51 PM
    Start reading up. I don't think there is much all in one place, but like Jeremy said, follow his link and start reading. Good Luck and Have fun.
    11-30-2009 07:00 PM
    Well, I did manage to get a good start. Motorola has most of it, and the rest that's driven by the conversion from one system to the next is on Google's pages on transferring contacts and syncing.
    11-30-2009 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD