Can't adjust brightness

Hootermancs

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I am unable to change the brightness on my 2.2 Evo. Earlier this week I had to get a warranty replacement for my original phone, and this is on my new phone. I'm uncertain if it worked right off the bat, as this is the first time I've tried to adjust the brightness since receiving the phone, but I never had a problem before. I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions before I tried wiping the phone.

I hadn't downloaded any apps/widgets that should of affected the brightness settings at all. I always just went through the display section of the settings. I can turn auto-brightness on and off and slide the slider all I want, but nothing changes. I'm not sure at what percent the brightness is stuck at, but it seems pretty bright. I tried downloading some 3rd party brightness apps/widgets, but they're unable to change anything either.

Any help is appreciated.

EVOlved Geek

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed on occasion that the brightness level on the EVO after upgrading to 2.2 can be a little.. um.. funky in its behavior. Unfortunately, many of the brightness widgets on the Market don't always work correctly due to something with HTC Sense. Incidentally, one that does work is SwitchPro, but it will set you back $0.99US

As for your issue, have you tried doing a battery pull to reset the phone?

Hootermancs

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I've tried pulling the battery and doing a reset that way, but it didn't help.

On your recommendation I also tried that SwitchPro widget, but it didn't help either. :(

EVOlved Geek

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Ouch. It's certainly possible that you've got a defective phone on your hands then, as much as that sucks. I'm assuming you're not running a custom ROM of some sort. You can try doing a wipe of the device, but I suspect that probably wouldn't help. Certainly worth a shot though before taking it back to the Sprint store.

From what I've seen, occasionally, the auto-brightness feature seems to forget it needs to be, well, auto-adjusting the brightness. However, usually going in to settings and turning it off and then back on fixes it.

However, in your case, if the backlight is just "stuck" at a certain level no matter what you do, then the electronic hardware component that regulates screen brightness could be bad.

I did some poking around on the web because I was curious if there were other reports of this issue. Unfortunately, I didn't really turn anything up specific to the Evo.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hootermancs

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I searched around too and wasn't able to really find much matching my problem.

I'll wipe it before I go through another warranty replacement even though I'm not expecting it to work. But I'm gonna wait to do that till I'm home from the lake this weekend.

Thanks.

Hootermancs

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd post a quick update. Wiping the phone did not fix the problem. Had to call Sprint and get another replacement sent to me. Joy.