How do I fix bad sectors/files (and do I even have them)?

phat_stack

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I have some bad data sectors, files, or something. Whenever I scroll to a certain date in my picture gallery, the app just crashes to the home screen. I tried connecting to my PC and copying the DCIM folder to my computer, but Windows Explorer crashes. There's some bad voodoo in there somewhere.

Will a factory reset or data wipe essentially format those sectors or files that might be corrupt or do I have to do more? I'm planning on flashing KitKat to my Galaxy Nexus and don't want to still have this garbage to deal with. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I have some bad data sectors, files, or something. Whenever I scroll to a certain date in my picture gallery, the app just crashes to the home screen. I tried connecting to my PC and copying the DCIM folder to my computer, but Windows Explorer crashes. There's some bad voodoo in there somewhere.

Will a factory reset or data wipe essentially format those sectors or files that might be corrupt or do I have to do more? I'm planning on flashing KitKat to my Galaxy Nexus and don't want to still have this garbage to deal with. Thanks!

Your phone is possessed! Run!!!
Lol...just kidding.
I don't know how for a G Nexus, but if you can clear cache in recovery, that might help a lot.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

phat_stack

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tried that but it didn't seem to work. I went ahead and did a data wipe and flashed Kit Kat. I'm not noticing any problems, so maybe it was just a bad file that got cleared.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've tried that but it didn't seem to work. I went ahead and did a data wipe and flashed Kit Kat. I'm not noticing any problems, so maybe it was just a bad file that got cleared.

Cool. Hopefully everything goes well.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app