What am I missing - Bad issues browsing web pages, websites, and anything to do with the internet

filthymanc

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Please help, as I'm on the verge of a tantrum.

I have the Galaxy S4, and I have been using Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox and stock browsers to test this problem out.

In essence, some websites - no problem. Most websites, very slow loading up and in some cases I get redirected to the "page not found". Now I know that it is my phone that's the problem because I've asked friend to try the exact same pages on their phones, and guess what, they work no problem. Also these same pages work fine on desktop.

I've tried uninstalling browsers, emptying caches but I don't seem to be able to figure it out. I know this must have a simple solution, I just can't see it.

filthymanc

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I've been struggling to access certain websites today whilst on wifi. I've just tried the same ones on mobile data and they worked.

Having said that wifi still works for most browsing, and also whilst on mobile data I've struggled in recent weeks despite having a good signal. It's a bit sporadic.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I've been struggling to access certain websites today whilst on wifi. I've just tried the same ones on mobile data and they worked.

Having said that wifi still works for most browsing, and also whilst on mobile data I've struggled in recent weeks despite having a good signal. It's a bit sporadic.

Do you have more than one device sharing your WiFi connection? When I download a file on one device, the other one will be incredibly slow to load pages or do anything online.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could also be having DNS issues on your cable/DSL connection. Call your provider's tech support number, hope you get someone knowledgeable, and basically tell him what you said in your first post. specifying that the problem occurs on wifi, not on your mobile data connection.

Another known problem with some very rare phones (individual phones, not models) is that if both data and wifi are enabled at the same time, the phone can't make a solid internet connection, (From what I've heard, the only guaranteed solution so far involves a 5 pound hammer and some broken glass.)

filthymanc

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hurrah, figured it out. Go into you options on your phone and select the following:

Wifi 》

Choose the network you are connected to 》

Modify Network Config 》

Show Advanced Options 》

Proxy Settings 》

Select 'none'.

I had proxy settings set to manual for some reason. I've no idea what that means other than it messes up your browsing.

If anyone can properly explain what the proxy business does or why I would need to manually set it I'd appreciate it.

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If anyone can properly explain what the proxy business does or why I would need to manually set it I'd appreciate it.
It means that when you attempt to connect to the internet, you're actually connecting to a local server (a proxy) that then connects you to the internet. (It's mostly used in corporate networks.) It could be preventing you from going to Youtube, it could be logging everything you do on the internet, it could just be that the people who set up your company's network figured that they could make another few thousand dollars selling them a proxy server.

In a home environment, setting the proxy to anything but none is almost guaranteed to be wrong. (And it it's not, the dude running your home network probably earns his living setting up networks for other people - with Inc. at the ends of heir names.) BTW, the same thing goes for "Socks server", "Socks4", "Socks5", anything like that. None or off. The only proxies most people will ever have anything to do with are the ones in the APNs of their cellphones. (Your phone connects to the internet through your carrier's proxy server.)

None of this has anything to do with the OP's problem, though. If you have a device set to use a proxy that doesn't exist (which would be the case using your router at home), you won't connect to the internet - at all. Can't connect to certain websites is almost always a problem that's occurring outside the house.

filthymanc

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
How about this for strange. The problem persists, and ot doesn't want to go away.

I had sorted it out by setting the proxy to None. Sorted, end of problem..... No, even though I save the settings it always reverts back to manual proxy with a load of proxy settings I know nothing about.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this now, as you can well imagine.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
How about this for strange. The problem persists, and ot doesn't want to go away.

I had sorted it out by setting the proxy to None. Sorted, end of problem..... No, even though I save the settings it always reverts back to manual proxy with a load of proxy settings I know nothing about.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this now, as you can well imagine.

Does this happen everywhere or just at home?

filthymanc

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't say at this stage. I'll have to test it when I next get chance at somebody else's house.

Bloody nuisance either way.