Battery life questions..

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
3 QUESTIONS:

1.) Will routinely placing my Samsung Exhibit on the charger each night regardless of charge state short life my battery?

2.) With all of the venders out there offering batteries is there a "better battery" for my device or are they all mostly the same?

3.) What are the key things I should be looking for when shopping for a quality battery?

Thanks for any advise provided regarding my battery questions..

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
3 QUESTIONS:

1.) Will routinely placing my Samsung Exhibit on the charger each night regardless of charge state short life my battery?

2.) With all of the venders out there offering batteries is there a "better battery" for my device or are they all mostly the same?

3.) What are the key things I should be looking for when shopping for a quality battery?

Thanks for any advise provided regarding my battery questions..

1.) Yes but to what degree is unclear. Most don't experience it before upgrading.

2.) Yes but not to any huge amount without getting bigger. Most batteries are Li-poly type. The more expensive ones can be Li-ion which are noticeably better but rarely worth the cost.

3.) There is really only one thing to help you decide and that is the reputation of the vendor/supplier. Sub par Lithium battery manufactures don't always make lesser quality batteries but are usually just less consistent having a higher percentages of failure.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1.) Yes but to what degree is unclear. Most don't experience it before upgrading.
The longest life will occur if you recharge at the 50% point every time. (That's statistically - no one can predict what any given battery will do.) The degredation from leaving the phone plugged into the charger for days at a time? I have a Motorola V551 with the OEM battery it came with. (Look it up if you want to see how old it is, but it's around 10 years old.) When it was my daily driver it was plugged in almost constantly. When I got a better phone, that one was charged about every 6 months. I recently had to use it for a couple of weeks as a daily phone. The battery still gives me about 95%-100% of the capacity it had when it was new.

It was properly conditioned. I didn't start setting the phone up as soon as I opened the box, using the battery that came with it. Doing that shortens the life of MANY batteries, because they've been sitting on the shelf for many months since they were charged, and they're down to 20% or so. (You'll hear from people I respect that we no longer have to condition Lithium batteries. I reserve the right to disagree with them. And I still retire my phones with the OEM battery. Even my Star Tacs have the OEM batteries, and they still work - even though it's no longer legal to use the phones. I won't go too far though - I have a couple of Motorola "bricks" - REALLY old phones. The batteries "work", but they don't hold much of a charge. And they're nickel batteries.)

2.) Yes but not to any huge amount without getting bigger. Most batteries are Li-poly type. The more expensive ones can be Li-ion which are noticeably better but rarely worth the cost.
Some manufacturers just buy better cells than others. That doesn't mean that their batteries are more expensive. I've had good luck with Hyperion batteries. Many people swear by Anker batteries. (Both available on Amazon.)

3.) There is really only one thing to help you decide and that is the reputation of the vendor/supplier.
Completely agree, unless you can find out whose cells they use. Some cell manufacturers are VERY consistent with low failure rates and long lives. But about all you're going to find out, unless you know someone at a vendor's factory, is what phone the battery is for, not whose cells are in it.