Apps being removed from memory

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
My apps sometimes are removed from memory despite all my troubleshooting efforts. Here is what I have tried:

-Followed the Don'tkillmyapp website instructions
-Disabling Adaptive Battery along with all other battery optimization options my phone has
-Adding to never auto sleeping apps
-Adding to Excluded Apps (for memory cleaning)
-Locking the app
-Disabling Doze Mode via ADB
-Disabling Memory Plus

Despite all of this I still have some apps reload themselves (booting from scratch instead of resuming from a suspended state) if I leave them idle for some time (it's always random). I want them to remain active at all times, unless there is no real way to do this?

Last edited:

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I should also specify that by 'reload' I mean the app will boot from scratch as opposed to resuming from a suspended state. This is leading me to believe that it's being culled from RAM or something else is causing it.

Last edited:

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My apps sometimes are removed from memory despite all my troubleshooting efforts. Here is what I have tried:

-Disabling Adaptive Battery along with all other battery optimization options my phone has
-Locking the app
-Disabling Memory Plus

Despite all of this I still have some apps reload themselves (booting from scratch instead of resuming from a suspended state) if I leave them idle for some time (it's always random). I want them to remain active at all times, unless there is no real way to do this

-Locking the app
-Disabling Memory Plus

Despite all of this I still have some apps reload themselves (booting from scratch instead of resuming from a suspended state) if I leave them idle for some time (it's always random). I want them to remain active at all times, unless there is no real way to do this?
The issue you're experiencing is due to the fact that phone has run out of memory (RAM). This is finite and your phone is working exactly how it should.

I believe your particular model phone is only available with 4GB of RAM in the States. This means its more limited to the amount of apps/processes it can run at any given time compared to a model which has say 6/8/10/12 GB etc of RAM.

I suggest you view this roughly 10 minute long video to give you an explanation of how Android memory management works....

Reactions: NJMike

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
The issue you're experiencing is due to the fact that phone has run out of memory (RAM). This is finite and your phone is working exactly how it should.

I believe your particular model phone is only available with 4GB of RAM in the States. This means its more limited to the amount of apps/processes it can run at any given time compared to a model which has say 6/8/10/12 GB etc of RAM.

I suggest you view this roughly 10 minute long video to give you an explanation of how Android memory management works....
Oh thank you, appreciated.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
So what I'm not understanding still is my phone never really uses like more than 60% memory, yet some of my apps are still being killed even if I have only a few kept in recent. Why is it killing apps if I always have so much headroom to spare?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So what I'm not understanding still is my phone never really uses like more than 60% memory, yet some of my apps are still being killed even if I have only a few kept in recent. Why is it killing apps if I always have so much headroom to spare?
That phone was available in 4, 6, and 8 GB memory options. If you have the 4 GB version, 40% isn't much at all. The 6 and 8 GB options aren't much better in this day and age. Android likes to keep memory filled, but it will keep some in reserve for unexpected app calls until it can settle things down again.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
That phone was available in 4, 6, and 8 GB memory options. If you have the 4 GB version, 40% isn't much at all. The 6 and 8 GB options aren't much better in this day and age. Android likes to keep memory filled, but it will keep some in reserve for unexpected app calls until it can settle things down again.
When I check it it usually says about 2.6 out of 4 GB is being used, with 600+ in reserve. Even with RAM Plus where I had expanded it by double, this kind of thing still happened.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately 4 GB isn't going to get you much these days. I don't think there's going to be anything you can do short of uninstalling/disabling apps, which I know isn't ideal if you use a lot of them.

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately 4 GB isn't going to get you much these days. I don't think there's going to be anything you can do short of uninstalling/disabling apps, which I know isn't ideal if you use a lot of them.
I understand, thanks for your help.