Does SD card influence android speed?

jiri463

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have been using HTC Desire X for 1 year. Now I have bought Xperia SP, because HTC wasnt so fast (not games etc., but in normal use, long delay before app start, twitching at main screan rolling etc. ). So Xperia is faster, not as I expected, but still faster until I put my SD Card from HTC. After that Xperia bacame slow like HTC. My SD card is the expensive one Kingstom 32 GB. Is it all only because of SD card? Can you say me some info about SD cards and Android? I am really disappoited about that. Thank you for your aswer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Does SD card influence android speed?

Yes the SD card can effect performance. Did you format the card after swapping it to the Xperia?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!!

I think it really depends on what's on the SD card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) SD cards come in different speeds. A Class 4 (4MB/s) card will be a lot slower than a Class 10 (10MB/s) card.

2) If the card isn't formatted correctly (although I've never noticed one phone needing a different format than another), it could affect speed.

I think #1 (and the fact that you can't trust the label on the box) is the largest factor. Install SD Insight (free at the Play store). Run it. Press the little "eye" in the upper right corner. It will tell you what the card says it is, how fast the card says it is, etc. I've seen 2GB Class 4 cards in packaging labeled 32GB Class 10.

There are only 2 manufacturers of the chips in the cards, SanDisk/Toshiba (a joint venture) and Samsung. EVERYONE ELSE buys chips or used cards and relabels them. Since SanDisk is a better company to work with, and their prices are cheaper, they're the only cards I ever buy. And the only problem I've ever had is losing a few cards. (My wife cleaned up my desk and I have no idea where the cards are.) I still have 4GB SanDisk cards (from when 4GB was as large as they got) that still work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez