Which ROM to flash, and why?

maxell100

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Android.

Rooting is self explanatory, but the justification behind flashing new ROM's is a little confusing, particularly if the current ROM seems to handle everything I need. How do you select a new ROM to flash, and what is your criteria for doing so? Do you flash to newer (or different) versions of Android for better security, app compatibility, bug fixes, new features, all of the above, or something else?

Also, for older devices, where do you draw the line for flashing newer versions of Android? For example, could my HTC Inspire 4G running 2.3.5 handle Jelly Bean or KitKat?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
A custom ROM is usually flashed if you're not completely happy with the stock firmware on your phone. Many custom ROMs are available to change the UI, add features not in stock software, and improve overall performance. You can also get the newest version of Android before the update is officially available.

Even though the LG software on the G2 isn't bad, I ended up flashing a custom ROM. I flashed CMB ROMs version of Cyanogenmod 11 (4.4.2). I picked this ROM because I wanted a stock Android UI, performance settings, extra features, and to remove bloatware all at once.

Many older phones will lose support for the newest ROMs. However, if an updated version of a custom ROM is available for an aging phone then flashing it should be fine. It just won't perform as well as newer phones with better specs.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB 4.4.2

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This depend on if the rom is available for your device or not. Places like XDA have rules that disallow asking these kind of questions, since its not helpful and motivating for devs due to favoritism and arguments.

If you have a Nexus device, then MultiROM is best. It is not a rom, but a feature to let you install and multiboot into unlimited number of compatible linux OS for ARM on your phone, such as Android, Ubuntu, FireOS, KDE Plasma Active.

For roms, I like CyanogenMod, AOKP and SlimRoms. They are made of bigger teams and have good quality control, as long as you stick with stable version you will have a good experience. I believe that most people who get problems are ones who flash nightlies and also flash incorrect gapps packages and modify their phones incorrectly in some other ways. Or is using a kernel that is draining their battery.

AOKP is my favorite, its always smooth, stable and come with great features, such as Active Display, but still waiting for it to become available for KitKat. Paranoid Android is one of the most popular after CyanogenMod, but I never felt like needing their features, but it's definitely have some killer features like multiple users login and per app DPI changes. I also like Beanstalk which have a lot of awesome features.

About updating an old device, a lot of times the reason why a new version of Android from a custom roms can't runn smooth on an old device isn't due to its limitation, but because the manufacturers no longer support it and the devs lack access to certain kernel codes or hardware drivers required to make a fast and compatible rom.

Last edited:

maxell100

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Of the custom ROM's you guys know about, are any geared more toward privacy and security?

I need to run full encryption and some form of App Opps. Not big into social media, streaming videos or music, or "pretty" looking interfaces just to be pretty. Assuming it's available for my device, what ROM's would you recommend?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
If you are really concerned about security then you probably want encryption and Xposed privacy. Most custom ROMs have the option to encrypt the phone. And Xposed privacy gives you complete control over app permissions. It's easy to set up once you have Xposed framework.

Sent from my LG-G2 running CMB 4.4.2

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Of the custom ROMs you guys know about, are any geared more toward privacy and security?

I need to run full encryption and some form of App Opps. Not big into social media, streaming videos or music, or "pretty" looking interfaces just to be pretty. Assuming it's available for my device, what ROMs would you recommend?
Most custom roms are AOSP based, so you should expect security level with stock Android.

But both CyanogenMod or SlimRoms have Privacy Guard, which is a more organized gui for App Ops and easier to manage. SlimRoms's version of Privacy Guard is better than CyanogenMod's version, it can filter permission so it only display permissions that the app actually use. App Ops don't have the ability to disable internet connection, but you can use AFWall+ for that, which is the most sure proof way since it does it on the kernel level.

You could use XPrivacy but it can be very complicated to sort through all the permissions and disabling the wrong one can cause an app to not function correctly.

Don't think that custom roms are available for all devices and up to date btw. Availability varies per device. You can check at XDA forum for better info when it come to rom and rooting.

Since you mentioned the HTC Inspire 4G, it has a 1ghz single core Snapdragon. I have a Sony with the same Qualcomm MSM8255 chip, my guess is it will run terrible with Jelly Bean. It's so slow I stick with GB on mine, but it's due to lack of the right kernel and Qualcomm hardware drivers for the newer Android version. Qualcomm is big now, but their S1 and S2 chips weren't very good comparing to Exynos at the time. It wasn't until their S4 that they started impressing me.

Last edited:

maxell100

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

I only have an HTC Inspire 4G at the moment, but may upgrade in the near future. Do any apps offer permissions controls (similar to App Opps) for a rooted GB device?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38