Why are my contacts multiplying when I merge contacts?

Dave Kirby1

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
SG S5 - Merging contacts

Proud and marginally frustrated owner of a new S5.

My Contacts came across from my S3 unlinked/un-merged (is that a word?) So I have multiple entries for the same human. Makes me crazy, and makes my contact list about yay-big.

I have gone through the 'Link Contacts' process several times - says it links them, but I still have multiple entries. I tried Contacts +, pretty much the same result.

Seriously - several Google searches and a well-intentioned but fruitless YouTube later, I'm at a loss. How can I combine these smartly-colored icons into a single master contact?

I presume I can just delete the extras, but life is short and my S3 seemed to do this quite effortlessly.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: SG S5 - Merging contacts

If they're Google contacts, they're on Google Contacts and in More there's a "Find and merge contacts" item.

If they're not Google contacts (ALL contacts should be entered as Google contacts), export them, learn the format of the file and merge them by hand in a text editor (even Notepad will do), then go into airplane mode and delete all your contacts, them import the edited file.

superrockers007

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Solution: Go to your phone book hit the triple squares and hit import/export....export your contacts to your SD card...and send the exported .vcf file to your email Id and after you receive the message to yourself ...open your gmail acct on your comp and the attachment will show you 2 options to download or add to contacts ...hit add to contacts....then open Google contacts on your laptop and hit find duplicates and merge....factory set your phone with your SD card out and then once done sync your contacts from your gmail acct and download all necessary apps m..enjoy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress