Even though I have notifications off, why does my phone wake me with half a commercial or dog barking or dialing sound effect?

A

AC Question

notifications off, phone wakes me with half a comercial or dog barking or dialing sound effect,

Is there a virus out there like this? Ran scans, found nothing. No app shows as loaded when I get to the phone. Need to leave it on over-night. No issues during the day. This is on a Note 2. Usually happens every other night between 2 and 4. Usually once a night but last night, 3 times. The dialing sound effect is most common, similar to a dial phone imitating the Tardis. Turned each app notifications off, didn't help. I can't tell what is the offending app or if there is really a form of malware. I use Lookout.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: notifications off, phone wakes me with half a comercial or dog barking or dialing sound effect,

Welcome to Android Central! Are you only hearing the sound play? Does the screen come on when this happens? Does anything appear in the notification bar?

roydeshon

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: notifications off, phone wakes me with half a comercial or dog barking or dialing sound effect,

Only the sound. Nothing in Notifications.

roydeshon

May 28, 2015
Visit site

To the best of my knowledge, these tones do not exist on the phone. And there is the matter of the commercials. One for Houston and one for Walmart so far. Both stopped before they completed.

roydeshon

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I'll try that for a few nights. Thank you.

roydeshon

May 28, 2015
Visit site

It's been several nights. No repeats.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

So now is the tricky part. The main way to figure out what's causing the problem is to boot back into normal mode and start uninstalling apps one by one until the problem goes away. I can't think of an easy way to try narrowing down which apps to focus on, though.