Water damage lead to custom message at boot and other strange problems. What could be going on?

A

AC Question

Water damage lead to custom message at boot and other strange problems

Yesterday I took my Active to the pool. It was submerged for no more than 10 minutes in maybe 5 inches of water. Afterwards it was working normally but this morning, when I plugged it in to charge, the splash screen had a "Custom" message along with an image of an unlocked lock. I can only imagine this is referring to the bootloader, which I haven't even touched. This phone is non-rooted, an obviously stock ROM.

Now, it has the following messages on the screen:

FACTORY MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G870A
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
REACTIVATION LOCK(KK): OFF
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
QUALCOMM SECURE BOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, A1, A1, P1
SECURE DOWNLOAD: ENABLE
UDC START

[picture of android dude}

Downloading...
Do not turn off target!!

Does anyone know what is going on?

Any help is appreciated.

cyberpunkshadow

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

So knox is not tripped, thank god. I'm not familiar with the knox codes, could you shed some light on that please?

Also, would you happen to know why the 'System Status' shows 'Custom'?

-I'm the OP btw, just made an account

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

So knox is not tripped, thank god. I'm not familiar with the knox codes, could you shed some light on that please?

Also, would you happen to know why the 'System Status' shows 'Custom'?

-I'm the OP btw, just made an account

The custom would indicate a custom ROM, but that is kind of deceptive. I did root my S5 and had rolled back to a previous official Samsung ROM and it would sometimes show the unlocked lock and say custom. I'm not sure why it is showing that on yours, I don't know why water damage would cause that or if it is in the realm of possibility for water damage to cause that.

Knox 0x0 means it isn't tripped, 0x1 is a tripped flag.

At this point though, it really doesn't matter because water damage will void the warranty.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Water damage lead to custom message at boot and other strange problems

But.. With it being an Active, then I would talk to Samsung and put it on them to deal with the water damage to an active.

cyberpunkshadow

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea, they accepted the service ticket, so they are owning up to their mistake. It was the rubber seal's fault, so it is covered by warranty. According to *Detection* over at XDA, the 'Custom' message was caused by the water damage-apparently I'm not the only person this has happened to. Since knox hasn't been tripped, there's no way for me to have flashed anything that wasn't signed by Samsung to begin with. Which I didn't.

And yes, seeing as how it is an Active, you'd think it would survive being submerged for a little bit, but I guess it's not really waterproof. I'll interpret the 'waterproof' as insurance from now on, and not as a feature to be tested and used.

Thanks for you help!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yea, they accepted the service ticket, so they are owning up to their mistake. It was the rubber seal's fault, so it is covered by warranty. According to *Detection* over at XDA, the 'Custom' message was caused by the water damage-apparently I'm not the only person this has happened to. Since knox hasn't been tripped, there's no way for me to have flashed anything that wasn't signed by Samsung to begin with. Which I didn't.

And yes, seeing as how it is an Active, you'd think it would survive being submerged for a little bit, but I guess it's not really waterproof. I'll interpret the 'waterproof' as insurance from now on, and not as a feature to be tested and used.

Thanks for you help!

Well it isn't even waterproof, but water and dust resistant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress