Gallery showing cached images from all folders & apps

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this on my Moto X1 and HTC One M8, but the Gallery app is showing all images everywhere on the phone, including images from the browser and other apps, thousands and thousands of images and folders, all named random numbers and letters and names and phrases etc. I only want to see images related to the Gallery app (camera pictures & videos, screenshots, I'm not sure what else there is).

How do I get the Gallery app to ignore all this crap? Sure, I can clear cache, but they just come back.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The folders they're in (or the top folder, if they're all in folders under a single folder) should have a file named .nomedia (leading dot) in it. That prevents that folder and anything under it from being scanned for media files.

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know which folder they're in, they could be from all over the place. Shouldn't the gallery app that comes with the phone know not to include every single picture everywhere on the phone?! I've seen multiple Android devices that do this, but never an iPhone.

Diegonacid

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello:

Could you solve your problem with the photo gallery???

I also hate that way the gallery organizes your pics. For example, I have my MP3 sorted by albums, and in every Album I have it's cover pic as a jpg file So the gallery shows 20.000 folders with one pic in each, and I hate that! I only want my gallery to show the pics of specific folders, and I can't seem to choose that.

Please, don't tell me to rename every file with ".PicName", that's not an option, as this files become hidden for the rest of the device.

Is there a Gallery app, that someone would recommend?

Thanks

anon(730457)

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean solve the problem with the photo gallery? The problem is in the photo gallery!

You're also describing the same problem I am; the photo gallery app shows pictures from ALL OVER the phone folders. It's nonsensical, all I care to see there are photos or videos I've taken and images I've saved.

The latest gallery app on my Moto X and now my new HTC One M8 by default show the first image at the top and when I tap that it opens some video reel of the images with pre-loaded music; this is totally nonsensical, I don't know what is going through Google's and the manufacturers' heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress