Best online storage - Dropbox or Sugarsync?

testrunner

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I jut signed up for this sugarsync app and put the application on my computer. So far so cool.

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=cwvyc9km0q6yd ---< You can sign up however you want put if you use that link they give you lots of extra storage.

p.s - If you use the link above then you get bonus storage space. The only deal is once you sign up you have to download the computer app to get the bonus storage. I put a link up there so you can get bonus storage (extra MG). Kinda dumb.

I also just signed up for dropbox http://db.tt/RfhaaCn using that link will hook you up with extra storage but not until you signup and install the app to your computer. Dumb again.

So I am new to this and they both seem cool but one has to be bette than the other right? Is the sugarsync better because the extra storage?

What have been your experiences?

mods- delete this if I was not supposed to post links or whatever. Peace :)

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I love dropbox, but hear great things about sugarsync as well. I use dropbox daily and can use it for so many things. I even have it setup to be a mobile print queue that I can send anything from my phone or from any other computer ect into my dropbox and it prints on my home printer.

Highly recommend dropbox for sync'ing (edit, just re-read your OP) ;)

Last edited:

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
By that logic neither is Sugarsync. Its not a good place to use as traditional storage, as in you don't have backups or copies elsewhere, but it IS a sync'd storage utility with sharing capability. I use it to keep copies of important files I may either need access myself from anywhere, or may at some point need to send somebody, and its easier to be able to send them a link than have to have the files on you and send them that way.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
By that logic neither is Sugarsync. Its not a good place to use as traditional storage, as in you don't have backups or copies elsewhere, but it IS a sync'd storage utility with sharing capability. I use it to keep copies of important files I may either need access myself from anywhere, or may at some point need to send somebody, and its easier to be able to send them a link than have to have the files on you and send them that way.

Agreed.
I just wouldn't use it for long term (archived type) storage of important files.

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agreed.
I just wouldn't use it for long term (archived type) storage of important files.

Definitely. Its for easy access to [copies of] things you need only for me. For that its very useful.

I personally wouldn't use any cloud based storage as my storage means (even mozy ect), but thats just me. Trusting your data to a company which may or may not be there in 2 years, or one that could possibly lose your data which HAS happened with those services is not a good idea. I always have at least 2 copies of everything on hard storage (drives ect) of which I have control over, but I'm intent to never lose my data.

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree that cloud services are good for getting files off your phone and to your computer or other devices and vice versa. I wouldn't use it for long term storage. However, I know that Dropbox is powered by Amazon's servers so I have a little more trust in their service. Don't know about Sugarsync.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I am using both Dropbox and SugarSync. I'm still up in the air as to which is better.

Basically, Dropbox is more stable, but SugarSync offers more. Dropbox basically never fails on uploads, SugarSync is bordering on "regular" failures. I don't recall Dropbox ever force closing, SugarSync force closes even during phone calls which has caused my call to end. Dropbox offers 2GB free with 250MB for referrals, SugarSync starts you with 5GB free and 500MB for referrals (for a limited time). Dropbox does not have any Autosync options, SugarSync does.

Bottom line: Dropbox is solid, and maybe with future updates SugarSync will be there. If you NEED 99% stability, go with Dropbox. If you WANT more, go with SugarSync.

peter.ariens

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, was looking for sync to android and several pc's at home. And well, gonna try myself the sugarsync now, will let you know. What I dont understand is why everyone of you -more into it- guys wont use it for basic storage? I am looking to have data form my PC's as well andropid HTC automatically sync and also stotage as in backup as an alternative for daily backup to a harddisk (external).

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I use Dropbox for storage for phone backups - Titanium Backup Pro has a sync with Dropbox option. It isn't my primary backup but I like it as an emergency option.

As far as synchronization, I thought it synchronized between phone and PC. When I upload a new file from the PC it shows up on my phone and vice versa. Or so it seems...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Dropbox myself. There was an article a while back citing the lack of encryption by Dropbox and the possibility of dropbox being able to see what is being stored. Since I don't store sensitive data on the service there is nothing for me to worry about.