Why does audio sound tinny until I after run the Google Play Music app?

A

AC Question

I have an older Acer A100 tablet with Android 4.0.3 and everything works fine but the audio usually needs a "kick" to play with adequate bass and fullness. I use several audio player apps (favoring VLC) and when I first run them after the tablet is powered on, they usually deliver that thin sound, unless I've run the Google Play Music app first, which restores the sound as it should be. It's as if some hidden audio setting is turned on by virtue of running that Google app.

I am playing music through some old Logitech 2.1 speakers as a mini stereo system. I know there's the possibility of headphone jack impedance issues but I don't really think that's the problem. When the sound is restored, it remains fine until I reboot the tablet.

I don't like to leave the tablet on constantly, so go through that Google-cycle each time I boot up. Doesn't take long but it's obviously not ideal. I realize this could have a lot of explanations but has anyone experienced it? I don't know if it's specific to my model, which I'd rather not upgrade for awhile with this setup. I use newer devices for other things and am fine with the A100 as just a music player.