Samsumg Galaxy J1 Bahamas phone unlock?

Skip Gundlach

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Despite being told by several folk in the Marsh Harbour Batelco office, including the one who wrote me up, my Samsumg Galaxy J1 Bahamas phone is NOT unlocked, nor available as-is for use in the US.

An extensive chat with Batelco support confirmed that it would require unlocking to work here. I doubt that an expensive phone call to that MH Batelco office would yield an unlock code, based on the very assured assertion that I was buying an unlocked phone; I expect that's standard.

There are many vendors who will sell me an unlock code, all about $30, but with no more info than an IMEI number. From this I expect there is some simple algorithm involved. However,as I learned as I inspected the modus for unlocking, all require a valid US sim to get 'asked' for the unlock code. As it's identical with all vendors, I expect that's true - but I can't verify it as my US cell has the wrong sized sim (too big), and everyone I know has sim-free phones (presumed CDMA).

So, two questions:

Does it really need that sim?

Do you know how to unlock this phone, assuming I can find such a sim to borrow?

I'm reluctant to spend the $30 if it's not going to work, too (can't be unlocked, for some reason).

As well, since this was sold by a non-US carrier, I presume the unlock laws don't apply to the phone (you break the law to unlock a US phone if sold after some unremembered date in 2013)...

Any help, thanks.

Skip Gundlach

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey there,

You don't necessarily need an US SIM to do this. Any SIM from an unsupported network should do the trick just fine. If the phone is asking for a code after inserting this SIM, you can place an order. I've used a specific service a couple of times and everything went smoothly. If you want, I can give you a link.

Thanks. I'm trying to find services which have data only; T-mobile has what looks to be a good plan, but in talking with one of their CSRs, they identified that the j1oomu I have won't work with them (but lots of other Galaxies will).

I have seen several vendors on eBay as low as single-digit bucks for unlock codes; I'll have to do some research to see if my phone works with any of them.

But, I'm happy to have your link - and still wonder what the magic is; there has to be some reason that all that's needed is the IMEI, and, somehow, the vendor immediately knows what my unlock code would be - but nobody else does. How do these vendors get it?

Any idea why an unlocked j100mu would not work with a T-Mobile data-only sim (they claim it will work with an all-around sim; how that can make a difference is beyond me). Other sites I've read say to claim it's a tablet, for data only. Ideas on how to get around that? The 2G at $20 works just fine for me, but having to pay $50 to get it wrapped with a phone and text package definitely doesn't.

Thanks.

Oh...

I tried to answer this from my home computer (this is a laptop), and it wouldn't let me sign in. Any idea why not? I got lovely boilerplate responses (got your mail, hang in there, etc.) immediately but nothing for several days now when I posed the question...

Skip Gundlach

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
So...

I go into an ATT store and get a chip put in; I get the unlock code request. So I know that it will present me the opportunity when I have such a code.

I go with unlock ninja, who promise an immediate unlock on their site. However, more than a week later, unlock ninja has not provided me an unlock code. I go to the site to follow the link they gave on my order, and it immediately generates a request for more information, which I give.

Another almost-week goes by, and they have not responded to my several requests of information as to their ability to perform, or a refund.

So, I guess I'll do a complaint/refund with my credit card and start over. Could I have that link, please?

And, anyone else watching, who have YOU used to unlock your BaTelCo phone?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Skip Gundlach

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Well, ULNinja refunded my money.

Another outfit took but has not yet refunded my money after telling me they couldn't succeed. The other one which failed, and has yet to refund, despite having the order December 26th, is Code Unlock Store - Unlock Your Mobile Phone By Code. Don't use them, either...

However UnlockBase did the job, and even had fantastic followthrough on what might have been a confusing sequence (in my case, it wasn't - I just entered the number they sent me and it was done). They also provided an unfreeze (what you get if you get it wrong too many times) key, unneeded.

Highly recommended. https://www.unlockbase.com/unlock-phone/samsung/ for these particular phones; it was the only one I found which had my specific model.

It was 33.02 and they use a "supplier" - whatever that is, and guarantee a two-day turnaround, including a countup clock from the second your payment is received...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez