Changing DNS settings on my phone for WiFi, how can I do this?

A

AC Question

Changing DNS settings on my phone for WiFi

Hi, I have recently built a website and have been going back and forth between the domain company I bought the name through and the site where I built the webpages.

It just wouldn't work on my devices so they suggested changing the DNS settings on my Mac and iPad and they work fine now on my home wifi network.

But, I still can't get my android phone to work. I have read about long press, static, change dons blah blah but I don't get the option of saving this, I just have cancel highlighted.

I have rebooted my router, turned my phone off and on etc and still I can't load in my own website. All other webpages I use seem to be ok but not my own.

As a result I also cannot set up an email account on my phone as it doesn't find servers etc.....I imagine the 2 things are connected.

So, it may be simple, I am not technical and getting more and more frustrated......can anyone suggest what to do?

Many thanks,

Cliff

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Changing DNS settings on my phone for WiFi

Well, you're technical enough to duild a website! OK, about the DNS issue. Head over to Google Play Store and search for "DNS Changer" There are many apps to try and hopefully give you a simple solution.

FiveOverEight

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

To change the DNS settings:

Open the Settings on the device.Select “Wi-Fi”.Long press your current network, then select “Modify network”.Mark “Show advanced options” check box.Change “IP settings” to “Static”Add the DNS servers IPs to the “DNS 1”, and “DNS 2” fields.Press “Save” button, disconnect from the network, and reconnect for changes to take effect.

Note that setting IP Settings to “Static” will affect the way that DHCP does address allocation and can be used only as a short-term solution. In order to work correctly, you have to configure your router and assign static IP to the device’s MAC address.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Make sure that you don't use a static IP address that the router leases. (I set my DHCP lower address bound to 100, to give me 99 static addresses if I need some.)

Also, you can set the phone's DNS address for your home connection to your router's address - 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 or whatever the .1 address is. The router is picking up your provider's DNS servers, and acting as a local DNS for any device using the router for DNS. It takes a couple of milliseconds longer to establish a connection, but you'll never notice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38