Fully rotate (home) screen 90 degrees

Yusunoha

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with the rotation of my android device and I was hoping if anyone could help me with this.

to give some backstory, I'm trying to create a magic mirror using an android stick, specifically this stick, which uses android 4.4.2
the stick is used with a computer monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 205BW), but the monitor will be used vertically. (I'm using a HDMI>DVI-D adapter to connect the two)

because of this, I need to have the screen rotated 90 degrees in portrait mode, and android does allow you to change the rotation of the screen, but it doesn't do it well.

in normal rotation the screen looks like this, and when I select the option to rotate the screen 90 degrees it'll look like this. as you can see, the screen isn't actually rotated 90 degrees, rather it just cut the screen in half and only shows on the left half of the screen. (apologies for the crappy quality)

so far I've tried the app Ultimate Rotation Control which should've been the best app for this, but it doesn't really do anything for me.

my question now is if anyone can help me with this problem, or tell me if it's even possible to do the thing I'm trying to do.

Yusunoha

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Nova launcher will rotate the home screen 90 degrees... Just like it does with apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

I've nova launcher installed, with screen rotation set to portrait, but that sadly didn't do anything.
I also tried changing the rotation of android itself with that feature enabled, hoping it might help, but the same problem happened

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think your problem is the OS uses the gravity sensors in the device to set the orientation. If your device can't feed back to the OS which way is down... it reverts to the default.

Hope you find something that works... curious can you root it and manually set a system parameter to overall landscape output? Maybe there is something in the realm of Android-tablet apps that will do what you want? I imagine tablet users would find this more practical than cell phone users... to be able to lock the system into landscape mode 100%.

Yusunoha

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I think your problem is the OS uses the gravity sensors in the device to set the orientation. If your device can't feed back to the OS which way is down... it reverts to the default.

Hope you find something that works... curious can you root it and manually set a system parameter to overall landscape output? Maybe there is something in the realm of Android-tablet apps that will do what you want? I imagine tablet users would find this more practical than cell phone users... to be able to lock the system into landscape mode 100%.

I only really want to root the device if I know it'll solve the problem, but I'm not even sure if it's possible to root this device, since it's an android stick that was delivered from china...

sadly the whole project depends on this one little thing, being able to properly fully rotate the screen. I've pretty much set up all the other things, but it's just this one little thing, which is so simple to do on phones, but on a stick.... ugh...

I'm kind of afraid it might not be possible, but I was hoping someone may be able to prove me wrong.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Even tablets have gravity sensors, so a tablet solution may still not work.

Isn't there a forum/community dedicated to stick PCs? I know I saw links to that in another forum. This seems like it would be a common problem though... Manufacturer omitting the over-write on this.

Yusunoha

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Even tablets have gravity sensors, so a tablet solution may still not work.

Isn't there a forum/community dedicated to stick PCs? I know I saw links to that in another forum. This seems like it would be a common problem though... Manufacturer omitting the over-write on this.

I've no idea if there's a community around android sticks, I actually thought Android Central would be the best place to find an answer for this problem
but it really seems to be a problem that not many have thought about because there's just not that many android sticks/computers around that have a problem like this, because basically all televisions you'd plug them in are in landscape

Yusunoha

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I found this... its mainly dealing with emulator shells on various computers though...

Switching to landscape mode in Android Emulator - Stack Overflow

sadly I don't think that's very useful... I think apps won't work for this problem, I've tried several rotation apps so far and they all don't actually rotate the screen, they just lock the rotation, which is always set to landscape.

and the feature of android that allows you to rotate the screen vertically doesn't do it as how it should do it. I think the only option left is actually messing with the source files, which I have no clue on how to do :(