How can I check if the 'Region Lock' is removed from my Samsung phone?

A

AC Question

How can I check if the 'Region Lock' is removed from my Samsung phone

I am currently in Malaysia on a business trip, for 3 months.
I bought Samsung J5 2016 model from here (Malaysia), and started using it.

One of my friends told me about this Region Lock that is imposed by Samsung (I used HTC and hence didn't know about this locking). He said that if the phone is activated with local SIM card and if I made calls for 7+ minutes, then the lock should be removed.

My question is: How can one confirm that the region lock is indeed removed? I don't want to go back to my home country, put a local SIM and check.

While I am in Malaysia, I'd like to check and be assured that it has been unlocked. Samsung Service Centre repeated the same thing over and over again : "You need to make 7+ minute phone call and it will be removed. Don't worry." But when I asked how can you guarantee? Show me the proof - there was no answer from them.

Is there a way to find out if the lock is removed? [I know that we can press keys like *#0011# to go to System Menu. Any commands to cross check this lock status?]

Thank you!

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I check if the 'Region Lock' is removed from my Samsung phone

The answers you have been given are correct. There's no more that can be said if you are not prepared to accept them. You may wish to search on Google for info to corroborate this.

RAM ALAJANGI

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
@Pugs1957, I am not sure if you have read my question. My question is: How can one confirm that the region lock is indeed removed?

Your reply didn't answer my question. Stop patronizing and writing statements like "There's no more that can be said if you are not prepared to accept them.".

RAM ALAJANGI

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: How can I check if the 'Region Lock' is removed from my Samsung phone

Thanks for replying @sfoLAX
Samsung Customer Care (IMO, it's not Customer 'Care'. It's I-Don't-Care) in my home country refused to accept the device or examine the device because it wasn't yet launched in my home country.

One of my friends informed me that there is a way to find out - if we put a non-regional SIM card, and if the device is still locked, we would see a message 'Network locked SIM card inserted'.
If the device is unlocked, we should see the non-regional SIM card showing network access.

I'd like to know - apart from inserting the non-regional SIM card, is there a way to know the status of the region lock?