How can I access my home hidden internet network/?

Vcgaines

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I decided to roommate for.the first time. I recently was laid off and have rent & household bills paid up till the end of December using my severance package. Recently me & my roommate had a falling out and since he's obtained a new router from our internet carrier (AT&T Uverse). He's had a friend come over to set it up and had the network hidden. I've tried talking and reason with him several times but he refuses to supply me with the password & is going out of his way to make my life miserable until I move. The only way I can connect to the internet now is via mobile data which is very unreliable at home. I've been told to obtain the SSID, IP, and MAC IP (which I have) but I have no idea what to do with this info. My laptop can't pick up his network but my android will randomly pick it up. I've been able to get a screen shot of it before it disappears. I'm unable to gain access to the router due to he's moved it into his bedroom locking it when he rarely leaves. I just want access to search for a new place and job without hugely being inconvenienced having to drive over 30 miles to get to a free hotspot at a coffee shop that wants you to buy something about every hour. Being unemployed now this is costing me funds I really don't have to spare. Can anyone help me with being able to access our internet using my android? Or help my find the password with my android so I can use my laptop to job hunt? Any help is appreciated, I'm desperate to get out of here and he refuses to return all payments for future bills paid & won't let up till I get out

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Was the service in your name prior to adding the roommate? Did the roommate go out and sign up for new/additional service when they moved in and you canceled the service you had? What were you using for a router before?

If you've paid your portion of all the bills (including internet service), your only recourse would be small-claims court but I imagine the animosity introduced by doing that might make the next few months a literal nightmare. Re-reading your post, I guess it couldn't make it any worse. It sounds like you need to try to reason with this person some more. There ARE ways to find the info you seek, but doing that may also cause a rift (and possible legal issues) if found out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What you are asking is probably illegal in general, which means you won't get help for your specific question here (and possibly the thread locked). Is the internet solely in his name? If so, then there's likely nothing you can do unless it's spelled out in your signed agreement that you are to be allowed access to it. You do have a signed agreement on the rooming situation, right? If this is covered in such agreement, then you have to decide if it's worth it to you to pursue via something like small claims court.

If the account is in both of your names, chances are only one of you are listed as the true owner. If you're on it as the owner, not just something like an account manager, then you can check with the ISP for possible options.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Excellent point mooncatt, I hadn't even considered that a signed contract would or should even be considered when rooming with someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress