[Moto E3 Power] SD card ready. Do you want to change the default write disk

bijo

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a brand new Moto E3 Power phone, which I have configured last day. After I inserted an SD card, at every restart of the phone, it gives me a message "SD card ready. Do you want to change the default write disk" with OK and Cancel button. Irrespective of whether I select OK or Cancel, I get the same message at next restart.

The SD card I used is a 32 GB SanDisk Class 10 card, which works well on another phone, a Moto G3. Also, I had another SD card (16 GB Class 4) card which I was using with no problem with the Moto G3. I tried using that card with the new Moto E3 and I continue to get the same message every restart. So, it's evident that it has something to do with the phone and not the card.

As the phone is new and I don't have any data, I tried formatting the SD card (on phone and on PC) as external storage. When I formatted in PC, I did it as FAT32.

Contacted Motorola customer care. As per their suggestion, I restarted phone in Safe Mode. Message was still there. Then I went ahead and did a factory reset of the phone. Again, no luck.

Took the phone to Lenovo service center that services Moto E3 Power phones, they checked everything and says it's an issue with Marshmallow version running and says the error happens with all Moto E3 Power phones (?). There is no Software Update available currently either. The version running is Android 6.0 with 1 June 2016 security patch.

Has anyone faced the same issue on their Moto E3 Power phones? Any suggestions to overcome this message. It's quite annoying to see that at every restart.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen only when you reboot the phone, or power on from powered off state? If so, it's probably a routine thing during the startup process, and may not necessarily be an error per se. My question for you is: how often are you rebooting or powering the phone completely off? In general, this shouldn't be necessary on a regular basis for Android devices. I recommend just letting the phone's screen sleep overnight while charging, rather than doing a complete shutdown.