Selective Restore from Ti to change Model Number?

mizmellyjelly

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Someone had already sort of solved my problem for this but I became curious and began doing trial and errors to try and figure this one out and I'm kind of hitting a dead end here and was hoping somebody here would know.

Basically when I installed a new ROM, the Model Number in Phone Identity said HTC Inspire 4G. When I did a restore with system+data etc etc on Ti, the Model Number went back to HTC Desire HD from the previous ROM.

The solution from the user who ran into the same problem suggested to just do a factory data reset. It does work, I mean sure enough, it brought back the HTC Inspire 4G under the Model number, however I ended up becoming all ocd as to what I restored to have made the Model Number change back to the previous info...so much that I restored a backup with the newly installed ROM with the HTC Desire HD Model Number to try and figure what data/cache restored that information

I know it's probably useless information as I should just stick with the mentioned solution and move on...but...but...I just can't rest until I find out

If anyone knows the information I'm looking for to help a gal out...that would be awesome

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a wild guess on this.

"sometimes" things are packaged to work on several "similar devices. Sort of 1 size fits all. 99 times out of 100, this works without a hitch, and the correct model is identified.

In your case, for whatever reason, it was identified as a different model. A "burp", glitch, errant bug. a couple digits leftover from a cache wipe. Whatever.

To try and replicate the original issue again, might not ever happen. If you restore it to the previous, you really haven't found where things went wrong, only put back exactly as before in most cases.

Best to let sleeping dogs lay......

Last edited:

mizmellyjelly

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a wild guess on this.

"sometimes" things are packaged to work on several "similar devices. Sort of 1 size fits all. 99 times out of 100, this works without a hitch, and the correct model is identified.

In your case, for whatever reason, it was identified as a different model. A "burp", glitch, errant bug. a couple digits leftover from a cache wipe. Whatever.

To try and replicate the original issue again, might not ever happen. If you restore it to the previous, you really haven't found where things went wrong, only put back exactly as before in most cases.

Best to let sleeping dogs lay......
Even though you're correct, I noticed that it only changed back to the previous model after I had restored data using Ti. I was just trying to figure out exactly which data it was that got restored. So with that being said, I spent literally all night restoring the data little by little, then rebooting the phone after each restore for the changes to take effect to figure out what restored the previous Model number....and I eventually found it lol. @_@'

It's Customization Settings Provider (phew!!). Doesn't make any difference with any of my specific settings (well besides the Model number of course lol) if it's not restored, so at least now I know when I'm restoring everything from Ti, I can just uncheck that one, or at least uncheck off 'Data'.

Haha..so much time spent for something so small ^.^'