bluetooth paired to phone, ringtone still playing through phone speaker

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
ok, so I just bought a memorex bluetooth headset..tired of nearly getting killed by the cable, anyways, so I paired the device rather easily, listened to some music...then I got a phonecall from a buddy of mine and noticed something weird going on..

for some reason, the ringtone is playing through the headset...AND the speaker on the phone. it should NOT be playing through the speaker whilst the headset is paired and turned on.

I should note that when I plug in a bog standard pair of headphones, all audio, ringtones included, goes through the headphones alone.

so, did I do something wrong when pairing my headset to my phone?

phone: LG tribute 5 with virgin mobile
headset: memorex bluetooth mhbt0245w

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That is pretty odd. Go to Settings>Bluetooth, and tap the gear next to the headphone entry. Are both Phone Audio and Media Audio checked on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they are. Sometimes they aren't, which is why I asked -- although I would guess the ringtone wouldn't be considered Media Audio in the first place.

Can you test out any other Bluetooth headset on the phone?

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
no dice, this is the only headset I have.

a buddy of mine said android phones are supposed to do that as a safety feature or something of the like..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Every Android I've had has always played the ringtone through both the speaker and Bluetooth. I figure the discrepancy between that and wired headsets is because most people don't wear their Bluetooth the entire time and wouldn't hear it if only the headset rang. With wired headsets, the cable is only so long, thus it can be assumed you'll have it on or at least close by when it rings. I don't know if this is the actual reason, just me guessing at it.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
well, phone and tablet both play notification sounds through the speaker AND headset.

I just tested with my tablet.

..guess this is android at fault?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread until now. The ringtone definitely plays on the phone when it's connected via Bluetooth to my car's system. I like Mooncatt's reasoning.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I've had two calls whilst wearing the headset and gotten the obligatory 'how come that damn thing's ringing if you have that super expensive headset on?' from my stepfather.

at least now I can say it doesnt matter what phone it is, thats the normal behavior.

thanks fellas.

xraiderv1

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I have the general ring tone set to star trek voyager's red alert klaxon.

family is set to star trek the motion picture's red alert klaxon....

they're SUPPOSED to be attention getting, it was the fact it was happening whilst the headset was connected that was causing me grief.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice. My Hangouts notification tones are the communicator sounds from TNG (for Hangouts IMs) and TOS (for SMS). Default notification tone is the oscillating sensor sound from TOS. Got them from this website: TrekCore.com

Live long and prosper.:)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Much as I like Star Trek, I decided to use the Yip Yip aliens from Sesame Street discovering a telephone for my ringtone. My text notification is the Super Mario Bros 1Up sound.

The_B_Team

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
ok, so I just bought a memorex bluetooth headset..tired of nearly getting killed by the cable, anyways, so I paired the device rather easily, listened to some music...then I got a phonecall from a buddy of mine and noticed something weird going on..

for some reason, the ringtone is playing through the headset...AND the speaker on the phone. it should NOT be playing through the speaker whilst the headset is paired and turned on.

I should note that when I plug in a bog standard pair of headphones, all audio, ringtones included, goes through the headphones alone.

so, did I do something wrong when pairing my headset to my phone?

phone: LG tribute 5 with virgin mobile
headset: memorex bluetooth mhbt0245w

The same thing happens to me with text notifications (can't do calls) on my Alcatel 3t 8 with my J-Lab Bluetooth earbuds. Any solutions?