Phone can't connect to PC via USB [Lollipop 5.0]

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Last week I upgraded my ASUS Zenfone 5 to Lollipop 5.0, before doing that, I backed up all my files to my pc via USB and it worked just fine. When I want to reconnect my phone, it didn't show anything. There's no notification for verification. USB Debugging is on and I checked the MTP option. My phone isn't showing up on the Windows Device Manager too. I tried 2 different cables and 3 different USB ports and it still didn't work. I've installed the ASUS USB Driver for Zenfone 5 A500CG. Please help me to find a workaround. Any kind of help is appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you try connecting to another PC to see if the same thing happens? When you connect via USB and swipe down the notification panel, is there a USB icon there?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that 2 unconnected things happened at the same time - the phone updated to 5.0, and the microUSB port had one or more pins become disconnected from the motherboard. (I have an S5 like that - and due to the way it's built, it would take almost as much to repair it as to replace it with a good used one.)

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Can you try connecting to another PC to see if the same thing happens? When you connect via USB and swipe down the notification panel, is there a USB icon there?

There is no icon. And I already tested all 3 different cables and ports with my Galaxy Grand 2 (KitKat) and it works just fine, so I think the problem isn't with the ports or cable. And one more thing, I tried to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable, it didn't work too, it worked when I'm still on KitKat. Should I downgrade?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How did you do the update -- was it an official OTA update, or did you manually download the update from a website? If the latter, is it possible that the update could've been for a different variant? I recall that with the Zenfone 2 line, there would be various different firmware files for the different variants, so you had to be careful which one you installed.

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
How did you do the update -- was it an official OTA update, or did you manually download the update from a website? If the latter, is it possible that the update could've been for a different variant? I recall that with the Zenfone 2 line, there would be various different firmware files for the different variants, so you had to be careful which one you installed.

I downloaded it manually by following this guide https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-11408-1-1.html. The firmware is from ASUS' website.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and the firmware was for your exact model number? I see from Wikipedia that there are 3 variants of the Zenfone 5 (A500CG, A501CG, and A500KL).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the off chance that this is still related to a bad install, you could try redownloading the firmware file and reinstalling it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, running out of ideas.:( See if this still happens in Safe Mode, in case some 3rd party app is interfering in some way. https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-1985-1-1.html. If it still happens in Safe Mode, then I'd guess that the firmware they put out is buggy. You could try contacting ASUS directly, but I'm not sure what kind of direct support they might give for a 4 year old phone. Good luck!

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Ok, running out of ideas.:( See if this still happens in Safe Mode, in case some 3rd party app is interfering in some way. https://www.asus.com/zentalk/thread-1985-1-1.html. If it still happens in Safe Mode, then I'd guess that the firmware they put out is buggy. You could try contacting ASUS directly, but I'm not sure what kind of direct support they might give for a 4 year old phone. Good luck!

Sadly, after reinstalling the firmware, my phone can't be turned on :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The screen doesn't even turn on? Have you already tried pressing and holding Power for about 20 seconds?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty