I make group on android and they go into google account

frankgrimace

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hi I have an XPeria L1 with latest Android installed, yes let's get this over with, i'm a nube at this.

I sat for hours making groups of contacts on my phone to discover they went into my google account contact list which is not what i wanted, I wanted them to all show in phone contacts and this is just making it all a bit complicated when searching for contacts.

Q how can i make my groups just show in phone contacts.

Q is there a way of moving all the contact in my google account to phone contacts without having to recreate them all

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Contacts in your Google account are also stored in the phone. You don't have to be connected to see them.

2. Contacts in your Google account are backed up at Google. If you ever lose the phone, when you get a new phone, etc., transferring the contacts to the new phone is as simple as putting that Google account into the phone. The contacts will sync by themselves.

3. The odds of being struck by the falling Chinese satellite tonight are far greater than the odds that anyone will ever look at your contacts on the Google server.

So it's just a safety precaution for you.

If you want to transfer them all to Phone, instead of Google, export all your contacts to a file. Go into Airplane mode. Delete all your contacts. Import that file, telling the phone to import them as Phone contacts. Go to Google Contacts and delete all your contacts (using another computer - the phone is in Airplane mode). Turn off Airplane mode.

Now you have no backup for your contacts. (Only Google contacts back up - Phone contacts don't.)

frankgrimace

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hi Again, and thank you for your time looking at MY problem.
Security isn't a problem, I have my own process for backup of contacts, my bugbear is that i made groups which seem to have divided themselves between two accounts without my input, I have some groups in phone contacts and others in google account, and it's taking me twice as long to get to where i want to be, as i don't have a quick way of knowing which group is in what account as a community worker i need several groups of contacts either under the list of wards, hospitals, community teams ECT. i will try your suggestion as i don't like this multiple accounts for contacts.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a difference between contact type and Labels. Most of us separate groups like that into different labels, not into different contact type. It's a quick trip to the left edge of the Contacts app to select a label, so you see only contacts in that label - but they're all backed up on Google, because the type is Google, not Phone. (Keep all groups as Google, not as Phone. That only determines whether they get backed up or not.)

frankgrimace

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
"There's a difference between contact type and Labels? Hi not sure i'd know the difference", i was only offered options for groups no labels option when fiddling with the phone.

"It's a quick trip to the left edge of the Contacts app to select a label", i only have the standard contacts app with the phone, doesnt give an option for this, sorry, it could be im too nube to see what im missing

frankgrimace

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Ive answerd my own question, I have to work within my google mail account to sort my lables and types not from the phone, and i can then have all associated with one account , google

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a difference between your Gmail ("Google mail") account and your Google account. Contacts have nothing to do with email, they should be backed up to your Google account. google.com/contacts is your Google account, mail.google.com is your mail account.

frankgrimace

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
well not sure what is what there, i logged into google mail went to contacts and dealt made groups with multiple contacts within that, and it all showed on my phone as contacts, in all the groups i made, i now have hospitals, wards police custody suites and mental health units all in there own groups all centralised in one account not spread out over phone contacts and google contacts, so i deleted all the phone contacts and now just deal with it on google account, it worked, i wont question it as this often makes more problems, and as you mentioned before its all backed up on gmail.

frankgrimace

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
just logged into my google account and all the contacts i made in mail show there, under contacts, probably all the same thing i just went about it in an arse about face fashion.