Why do the prongs on ALL the chargers I've ever had recess into the male part of cord.the

Basil 718

Oct 2, 2018
Visit site
Ok please let me start by saying that I am cell phone, iPad, iPod, Xbox illiterate. Some may half heartedly apologize for their ignorance but if you asked my teenage girls they'd look up from their iPhones with the most cringe worthy faces. So sorry for this and all future inquiries. I'm mostly in the dark because until 2016 l was free from the bondage of being reachable at any given moment. When I finally got a cellphone it was an Obama phone so I had 500 mins and unlimited texting every month for free, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one. It was a little black rectangular box like a flip phone that didn't flip. It looked like a garage door opener, the phone was so basic I was T9ing it happily. Having the internet in my hand is an addiction I could've gone to my grave without. But after having it for 2yrs it finally wore out. When I called the folks at Assurance Wireless I begged for the same kind of phone but they don't even make them anymore.
I'm not exactly sure what kind of phone this is other than that it has the initials ANS with a little sillouette of a dove. I know it's an Android too. Immediately after plugging in I waited a few more hours that I thought necessary to charge, 12hrs is a bit much right? It's only 6ins and built real sturdy, lol. I'm not ashamed to say I'm too poor so that i have an Obama phone cuz maybe someone else's free phone is having issues too. And I thank you for your website cuz I never make a profile for anyone but any time I've needed advice yours is the very best.
So after explaining my life, what in the world is up with my phone eating those little prongs on about 7 chargers since July? They seem to get pushed down, this last one I have been babying and taking it out by putting my fingers really close and gently pressing on the phone till the male end pops itself out. Honey, there has not been one yank, cuz if I have to save up for a phone charger, I'll treat that **** better than my daughters...JK... Not really, kinda. Is there anything I can do to avoid this or fix it? I'd rather be able fix it cuz I just bought this last one 2 weeks ago. No matter if I hear back from you or not, thank you again so much for being here for someone like me.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome, and thank your for your kind comments. :)

I'll move this to General Help & How To, where it may fare better.
Perhaps it's an ANS UL40?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the cable has to be plugged into the phone only one way (one side of the plug is longer than the other), that's a microUSB plug. Considering that all phones back 10 years ago used different plugs - even Motorola had 3 different kinds for their own phones (and we had to keep a set of cables in the shop for about 20 different plugs), we welcomed the change to microUSB - finally, one plug fits all. Until we realized how flimsy that tiny little bar in the center of the plug is.

Now we have Type C plugs that are a little sturdier (and can plug in either way). But if you still have a microUSB plug, look at the phone where the plug plugs in, then look at the end of the plug - and don't try to force the plug in upside down. Compared to a Type C, it's a bit of a pain to have to look each time (after the first time, you at least know which way the jack in the phone is facing), but you do have to look every time you plug it in.

Basil 718

Oct 2, 2018
Visit site
Welcome, and thank your for your kind comments. :)

I'll move this to General Help & How To, where it may fare better.
Perhaps it's an ANS UL40?

Thanks for moving it for me. After I posted this it did dawn on me to Google the phone brand and you're right on the money. I wonder if other people have had the same problem with that model eating chargers? I hope more people reply but I didn't realize I was writing an essay but I am new at all of this.

Basil 718

Oct 2, 2018
Visit site
If the cable has to be plugged into the phone only one way (one side of the plug is longer than the other), that's a microUSB plug. Considering that all phones back 10 years ago used different plugs - even Motorola had 3 different kinds for their own phones (and we had to keep a set of cables in the shop for about 20 different plugs), we welcomed the change to microUSB - finally, one plug fits all. Until we realized how flimsy that tiny little bar in the center of the plug is.

Now we have Type C plugs that are a little sturdier (and can plug in either way). But if you still have a microUSB plug, look at the phone where the plug plugs in, then look at the end of the plug - and don't try to force the plug in upside down. Compared to a Type C, it's a bit of a pain to have to look each time (after the first time, you at least know which way the jack in the phone is facing), but you do have to look every time you plug it in.

I think you've answered my question BUT idk what to look for in the store does the box say Type C?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! MicroUSB-A charging ports are notorious for that kind of problem. If you try to force the plug in upside down, or if it's right side up but at an angle, it's relatively easy to bend the contacts.

You can see the difference in the appearance of USB-A vs USB-C here: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/usb-type-c-faq

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87