Google Play Keeps Auto Updating Itself

Burtflo

Sep 30, 2019
Visit site
Hello all

Google Play keeps auto updating Google Play (itself)

Why ?

Using Android 7 , 8 and 9

I have tried all the possible solutions i.e Google Play app settings > do not auto update apps (which refers to the apps installed on your device, NOT Google Play)

Even selected update apps via WIFI only (but have no home wifi, only phone data

I have gone to the device APPS menu > google play > turned off background data usage , restrict background data use

Also gone to Google Play services and turned off all , restrict background data usage

Even clicked the 3 dots top right corner to uninstall all Google Play updates. To start fresh.

Tried all possible settings to stop Google Play updating itself. But if the internet data has been off for night period. Within 10 seconds of turning data on, download arrow top left corner appears to download latest Google Play.

So whats the bug or sneaky program that Google Play are hiding on our devices in order for them to ignore the users selection in the menu?

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Burtflo

Sep 30, 2019
Visit site
I never mentioned turning off Google Play sevices.

Google Play works perfectly well without the need to keep updating it. I uninstall every unwanted update and it continues to work.

There is never any warning that Google Play is out of date.

When it does sneakily update itself , it craftily turns the 'use background data' option back on in the apps menu page.

I personally disagee that the end user doesnt have full control over ther device. And Google Play is a store for apps. It shouldnt have control over the operating syatem the way it does.

My question was how to stop Google Play automatically updating itself every day with a newer version of itself ? Even when I have taken every step to stop the use of background data usage for this app and the Play sevices.

The only option is to use a third party app to disable it from loading up or being used.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Your confusing 'Google play services' with 'Google play store'.
I would recommend googling a few search terms about how android works.
You wouldn't delete dll files from a pc, though you won't recognize many of them or know what they do... until you delete them either, hopefully.
Good luck

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you elaborate on why you don't want the Play Store up auto-update? What's your main concern about new features or bugfixes? Did you not want the section on Play Pass?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch