Email icon shows when only checking email

Brian2300

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Note 8: The phone pops up with the New Email icon in the status bar (and on the email button) and I tap it to check my email. But there is no email and a couple seconds later it disappears. This was confusing the first couple times it happened, but now I realize that the new email icon appears when it is simply CHECKING for new email, not that it found it. That's like showing the new text message icon whenever it checks for new text messages, which of course never happens b/c that would be stupid.

So now when I see the new email icon I don't trust it and wait a few seconds to see if it disappears or not before checking my email. I looked for a setting to disable this but can't find it.

Brian2300

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
But there is no email. It displays it during the process of checking the email, then it disappears afterward. So it's a false alert and now I don't trust the alert in the status bar or on the email button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you swipe down the notification panel, does it give you additional information along with that icon, like "Syncing..."?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How long does it stay in the status bar? That kind of notification should be pretty brief, and it shouldn't give you a notification tone either.

Brian2300

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
How long does it stay in the status bar? That kind of notification should be pretty brief, and it shouldn't give you a notification tone either.

It's only there for a few seconds, so it doesn't happen to me very often. It's just that I'll be looking at the phone to open an app and the email button gets a circle saying that I have a new email (or I'll see the icon pop up in the notification bar) so I think I got a new email and click on it and there is no email. Then I realize it was just a false alert b/c it was syncing and I curse my phone for a second before going back to what I was previously doing. So it's not a big deal, it would just be nice it if I could turn it off so it didn't happen. And it makes no sense to get a notification during the sync'ing process as if I had new email arrive (yes, Note 8, I know you sync every 15 minutes, I don't need you to remind me of it...). If I got a notification every time sms, GPS and FB did a sync then my phone would never stop giving notifications. Oh well, I guess there is no fix for this. It's just a weird dumb behavior of the Note 8 and I'll just ignore the email notification when it first appears on my phone unless it stays there. Thanks anyway. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it's pretty unnecessary. Go to Settings>Apps, select the Email app, then the Notifications section. How granular does it get? Can you find a notification option for syncing there?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When the email app is checking for new email, you get a notification only while it's checking. The dot is "there's a notification created by the email app", not "there's an email". Go to the email app, to settings, to the setting for how often to check for email, and set it to 0 or off. Then emails will be sent to the phone as they're received at the server, and if you get a notification, it will be because there's an email.

(It's not the Note 8, it's how email apps work. You normally want push email, which is no polling, or 0 polling time.)

Brian2300

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm.. I thought when I set it to off that I never rec'd any notifications even when I got emails and thus I had to put in some type timer setting. I'll play around with it again and see if I did something wrong.

Re "there's a notification created by the email app", it seems silly to notify me when it is syncing email. I couldn't care less when it sync's email, only when I have email. Do I get notified when FB is sync'ing or when GPS is checking my location? The phone would never stop sending notifications if that were the case. Should my computer alert me every time Outlook is checks for email? Anyway, if that is how the app is built then that is the way it is. I guess I know there is nothing I can do about it.