How do I stop my phone/keyboard/messaging from converting what I type ";)" into a picture?

jleslie48

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
When I type the characters semi-colon followed by a closing parenthesis that is what I want sent, I don't want it to convert it so some yellow image. How do fix my phone so it stops doing that?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: How do I stop my phone/keyboard/messaging from converting what I type ";)" into a picture?

Which phone?
Which version of android?
Which carrier?
Which keyboard app?
Which messaging app?

jleslie48

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
Re: How do I stop my phone/keyboard/messaging from converting what I type ";)" into a picture?

Samsun-sm-g930v Galaxy S7 rev 0.6
android 8.0.0
verizon
I've tried samsung keyboard and swiftkey, but I'm willing to install any one that will stop these emoji's
Message+ version 6.9.1

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

That's not the phone, that's where it's going. Here that converts to a wink ;), but if I send an SMS, using Swiftkey, it sens as a semicolon followed by a close paren, Same keyboard, same settings.
If it's happening when you're sending a text, it's the receiver's phone that's converting it.

jleslie48

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site

That's not the phone, that's where it's going. Here that converts to a wink ;), but if I send an SMS, using Swiftkey, it sens as a semicolon followed by a close paren, Same keyboard, same settings.
If it's happening when you're sending a text, it's the receiver's phone that's converting it.

Rukbat, "That's not the phone, that's where it's going. Here that converts to a wink " I'm unclear about what you are saying here. I am looking at my phone. I type on my phone "; )" (I had to add a space to keep this stupid interface from converting what I type into a cutesy image.) and when I click Send, I see on my phone the picture instead of the characters "; )" when Message + shows the conversation. I want MY PHONE TO SHOW THE CHARACTERS, specifically when I use Message+. I don't want Message + to show me the cutesy pictures, I want to see the characters as they were typed, especially when the come from my side of the dialog.

Last edited:

jleslie48

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site

I think I found my answer, I just installed the messenger app Handcent and it has an option to "disable smileys" thank god.

SMS app called Handcent Next SMS which provides the option to disable emoticons on all (incoming/outgoing) sms.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In the Google Messages app, I believe the setting is in the Advanced menu -- turn on the Use Simple Characters toggle.