How to use iphone if I do not own other apple products? Android user here.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a long-time Android and never use an iPhone before. I know how to use my Samsung android phone with Windows 10 without any problems.

I am going to receive an iPhone 7. I have never used iPhone before. I heard of something like apple ecosystem.

I heard of iPhone is unable (or not easy) to transfer files through USB plugging into PC, not really compatible with PC/Windows, need some apple account to work, locked or unlocked phone, apps store differences, Itunes is needed and need to pay some account fees and so on...

Are these problems real problems?

I think apple app stores app has lesser free apps?

Can someone advise me what do I need to get the iPhone to work, and what problems will I encounter, what fees will I need to pay?

Thanks

(my questions are what I heard about iPhone so I don't really what are the problems I will encounter if I use an iPhone. I only briefly tried the demo iPhone set in retail shops a long time ago, so I am unable to know what are the real problems when using it whole day)

Last edited:

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
just use it. it does not require any other apple products and it works no differently. though you should already know this since we can see your previous posting and they indicate you already have an iphone based on the questions asked.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
just use it. it does not require any other apple products and it works no differently. though you should already know this since we can see your previous posting and they indicate you already have an iphone based on the questions asked.

I did not have any iphone before, I guess you looked at other people posting. I only touched Iphone in the stores for a few minutes, thats all, no experience on real life usage like transferring files, itunes...

From my understanding iphone needs a iphone cable called lightning cable if I am not wrong and even if that cable is plugged into the pc I am not sure if a cut and paste can be done to transfer files from pc to iphone.

No worries I would just wait, some other people might have experience in both iphone and android and could share their experience later.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Please check our our sister site iMore. They have many helpful members who have loads of experience with iPhones. https://forums.imore.com/ask-question/

I'm sure they will be able to help you with all your questions, including those related to charging/ data cables the App Store, Apple ID, and anything else you need help with.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Please check our our sister site iMore. They have many helpful members who have loads of experience with iPhones. https://forums.imore.com/ask-question/

I'm sure they will be able to help you with all your questions, including those related to charging/ data cables the App Store, Apple ID, and anything else you need help with.

Thanks, I will ask there after I receive the iphone, I still do not have any iphone yet but I will receive one soon, for now I am just asking in general what are the differences/problems likely to occur for a long time android user trying to use iphone to get a mental preparation.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I use both iPhones and Androids. The differences for me are of no great importance. Bear in mind that you can use many Google apps on iPhones. Enjoy both systems, which have more compatibility than you might be thinking.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Well ... there are many Google apps that have iPhone versions. You can not install an Android .apk file in an iPhone. Since the iPhone 7 uses a proprietary connector (Lightning), you may need some Lightning to USB adapters. Also, if you want to get into the innards of the phone (like jailbreaking - the equivalent of rooting an Android), it's a totally different world. And no Linux "under the hood" to run a terminal app on (unless you jailbreak the phone - and then id's iOS you're in, not Linux).

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I did not have any iphone before, I guess you looked at other people posting. I only touched Iphone in the stores for a few minutes, thats all, no experience on real life usage like transferring files, itunes...

From my understanding iphone needs a iphone cable called lightning cable if I am not wrong and even if that cable is plugged into the pc I am not sure if a cut and paste can be done to transfer files from pc to iphone.

No worries I would just wait, some other people might have experience in both iphone and android and could share their experience later.

Even though you haven’t received iPhone yet, the best answers may come from others that have switched from Android to iOS already. Our related site, iMore have many current members that have done just that. Many Android users switched away from iOS and can provide feedback as well. There’s really not that much difference in 2019 though so just hold on until you get device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress