When cell phones started out...

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I had a BlackBerry Style that I consider was one of the best I ever had. Texting and messaging was a breeze on that puppy, had amazing reception, and did email really well.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I barely remember MSN Messenger. Your mention of it could be the reason I remember it at all; the power of suggestion and so forth. I see myself setting up my first laptop, a Gateway model with a 40GB hard drive and a new found friend helping me set everything up circa December of 2002. Then I could message her when I was home and forego using Sprint's Short Mail. Short Mail, another thing that I miss from a seemingly simpler and slower paced time.

That is so cool! I do not think I remember Short Mail. But I'm from Canada, so if that is something that is exclusive to Sprint, I guess that's why I don't know it! I remember using phones plugged into the wall...

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
That is so cool! I do not think I remember Short Mail. But I'm from Canada, so if that is something that is exclusive to Sprint, I guess that's why I don't know it! I remember using phones plugged into the wall...

I remember the old phones too. Practically indestructible those were. I can almost summon my phone number from when was a youngster which was more decades ago than I want to remember. I do remember the second assigned phone number we had in '62 (when I was 6) and all numbers subsequent to those so I suppose that's something. Carry on, Morty!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We're more connected than ever.

People are mad that people are heads down into their devices in places like public transportation. But we've been "distracting" ourselves for years. Newspapers. Magazines. TV dinners.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
We're more connected than ever.

People are mad that people are heads down into their devices in places like public transportation. But we've been "distracting" ourselves for years. Newspapers. Magazines. TV dinners.
Yeah but most people didn't read the paper while walking, crossing the street or driving.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Has social media made things worse or better?
That's a rather open ended question. I'd say it's made some things better, but some things worse. Overall I'd say there more pluses than minuses but that depends on your point of view.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Has social media made things worse or better?

I think it's a mixed bag. Sometimes, it can be great. And other times, it reminds me of the poison and intolerance there is in the world.

If you have a differing opinion than someone else - watch out! You're unfriended, blasted, or shamed. But I've long stopped giving my opinions on stuff on social media - unless it's about TV shows or something light.. :)

But during the time of the pandemic, when we were shut down - and even now, when I'm back to work - I heavily relied/rely on Facebook Messenger to video chat with my mom, brother, and in-laws. So that was a definite blessing of having access to social media and its sister apps.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone wants an expensive phone, phones are considered as essentials now

There are more people who want a expensive phone than a flip phone.

Which phone you have is what you can do with your phone.

Its like a toolbox.
The more tools you got in your tool box the more options you have.

Why cut down on your options and what you can do.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
There are more people who want a expensive phone than a flip phone.

Which phone you have is what you can do with your phone.

Its like a toolbox.
The more tools you got in your tool box the more options you have.

Why cut down on your options and what you can do.
Most mid-range and flagship smartphones today can do basically the same exact things

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
And they got just as big of a battery

And the refresh rate is as good.

Most people buy phones for the Camera too.
The camera is worth more than the phone.

By the way.

Which phone do you have.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I remember the old phones too. Practically indestructible those were. I can almost summon my phone number from when was a youngster which was more decades ago than I want to remember. I do remember the second assigned phone number we had in '62 (when I was 6) and all numbers subsequent to those so I suppose that's something. Carry on, Morty!
I can remember my phone number from when I was 5 or 6. 01 556 0335

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I gave up Facebook years ago, since I was sick of getting requests to play Mafia Wars and Farmville.

I tried Facebook a million years ago at my wife's urging when it was becoming a thing..... after about 6 months I closed the account because I saw no point in it. I think I'm a little older than the typical Facebook demographic, which might be why it didn't work for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or maybe it was because I'm more of an outdoor/exercise/socialize kinda guy who didn't spend too much time in front of a pc (except for some gaming lol)... unless I had to fix one :-[ My wife loves it and connects with way more family members way quicker than we could by phone, but I still think Facebook's going in a bad direction..... and I'm pretty sure I'll never use it again.

SeanD_Colorado

Nov 13, 2019
Visit site
I tried Facebook a million years ago at my wife's urging when it was becoming a thing..... after about 6 months I closed the account because I saw no point in it. I think I'm a little older than the typical Facebook demographic, which might be why it didn't work for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or maybe it was because I'm more of an outdoor/exercise/socialize kinda guy who didn't spend too much time in front of a pc (except for some gaming lol)... unless I had to fix one :-[ My wife loves it and connects with way more family members way quicker than we could by phone, but I still think Facebook's going in a bad direction..... and I'm pretty sure I'll never use it again.

I would guess that it is more due to you being the outdoor/active type. I am not sure what the typical Facebook age demographic is, but I am in my 50's and have noticed that there are a lot of folks in their 60's, 70's, 80's+ that spend a lot of time on Facebook.

Like you, I got into it at the urging of my wife and other family members. But I never really saw the point and my interest quickly waned. I haven't canceled my account. But I do joke in what is mostly an honest statement, that I check in once a month whether I need to or not.

I also agree that Facebook is going a bad direction. Perhaps because of this bias I found the documentary "The Social Dilemma" an interesting watch. But I would think it would be of interest even if you love Facebook :)