10-21-2020 03:19 PM
71 123
tools
    Not everyone wants an expensive phone, phones are considered as essentials now
    09-24-2020 11:40 AM
    Not everyone wants an expensive phone, phones are considered as essentials now
    There are more people who want a expensive phone than a flip phone.

Which phone you have is what you can do with your phone.

Its like a toolbox.
    The more tools you got in your tool box the more options you have.

Why cut down on your options and what you can do.
    Ranjen617 and sulla1965 like this.
    09-24-2020 11:47 AM
    There are more people who want a expensive phone than a flip phone.

Which phone you have is what you can do with your phone.

Its like a toolbox.
    The more tools you got in your tool box the more options you have.

Why cut down on your options and what you can do.
    Most mid-range and flagship smartphones today can do basically the same exact things
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-25-2020 11:04 AM
    And they got just as big of a battery

And the refresh rate is as good.

Most people buy phones for the Camera too.
    The camera is worth more than the phone.

By the way.

Which phone do you have.
    09-25-2020 11:12 AM
    Most mid-range and flagship smartphones today can do basically the same exact things
    Yes! My husband has the LG Velvet and we've compared that to my S10 and there truly isn't much of a difference. I may even go mid-range for my next upgrade.
    09-25-2020 11:28 AM
    Remember pay phones and booths? Well cell phones rendered those useless. Times always change, we all must change with them. When I was growing up nobody owned a pc, imagine that.
    Still plenty of pay phones in this world. Most not in booths, just hanging on a wall...

https://www.payphone-directory.org/
    09-28-2020 07:07 AM
    Still plenty of pay phones in this world. Most not in booths, just hanging on a wall...

https://www.payphone-directory.org/
    I would have to drive for miles to find one. Not that I would go looking.
    SeanD_Colorado likes this.
    09-28-2020 08:50 AM
    I remember the old phones too. Practically indestructible those were. I can almost summon my phone number from when was a youngster which was more decades ago than I want to remember. I do remember the second assigned phone number we had in '62 (when I was 6) and all numbers subsequent to those so I suppose that's something. Carry on, Morty!
    I can remember my phone number from when I was 5 or 6. 01 556 0335
    Nostromo79 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-28-2020 08:53 AM
    I gave up Facebook years ago, since I was sick of getting requests to play Mafia Wars and Farmville.
    I tried Facebook a million years ago at my wife's urging when it was becoming a thing..... after about 6 months I closed the account because I saw no point in it. I think I'm a little older than the typical Facebook demographic, which might be why it didn't work for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or maybe it was because I'm more of an outdoor/exercise/socialize kinda guy who didn't spend too much time in front of a pc (except for some gaming lol)... unless I had to fix one My wife loves it and connects with way more family members way quicker than we could by phone, but I still think Facebook's going in a bad direction..... and I'm pretty sure I'll never use it again.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-29-2020 07:20 AM
    I tried Facebook a million years ago at my wife's urging when it was becoming a thing..... after about 6 months I closed the account because I saw no point in it. I think I'm a little older than the typical Facebook demographic, which might be why it didn't work for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Or maybe it was because I'm more of an outdoor/exercise/socialize kinda guy who didn't spend too much time in front of a pc (except for some gaming lol)... unless I had to fix one My wife loves it and connects with way more family members way quicker than we could by phone, but I still think Facebook's going in a bad direction..... and I'm pretty sure I'll never use it again.
    I would guess that it is more due to you being the outdoor/active type. I am not sure what the typical Facebook age demographic is, but I am in my 50's and have noticed that there are a lot of folks in their 60's, 70's, 80's+ that spend a lot of time on Facebook.

Like you, I got into it at the urging of my wife and other family members. But I never really saw the point and my interest quickly waned. I haven't canceled my account. But I do joke in what is mostly an honest statement, that I check in once a month whether I need to or not.

I also agree that Facebook is going a bad direction. Perhaps because of this bias I found the documentary "The Social Dilemma" an interesting watch. But I would think it would be of interest even if you love Facebook
    Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    09-29-2020 07:40 AM
    I can remember my phone number from when I was 5 or 6. 01 556 0335
    I can remember mine from other towns and even the phone number of my first ever boyfriend from when I was 14. But can I remember where I left my coffee cup?!
    J Dubbs and Kizzy Catwoman like this.
    09-29-2020 08:53 PM
    While there is a true addiction that's formed to constantly using smartphones, it is very much an essential item. And who wants to go to a library in today's climate? The nations are telling people to stay home, so you need to be accessible. The things we didn't need back then were of a different time. CDs were still in major production, activities outdoors were available, laptops and other technology were ridiculously priced high, and a lot of the things that were packaged in a smartphone were all separate components.

For as little as maybe 50 dollars for a great smartphone on a plan and a 45 dollar plan, you can have unlimited data on a device that is your computer, music player, and phone for under $100 a month. This was not a thing 10 years ago, or at least not as functional. Folks had to get credit checks for an iPhone ALONE, not even for the plan, but for the phone. Technology has been made affordable and attainable, and with COVID being the forefront of today's lifestyle, we need it to be affordable and attainable to maintain a living.

As far as how the kids and the youth of today are growing up depending on tech, one could say that when we grew up, we were getting exposed to a lifestyle that could be viewed as harmful according to the society that raised us. TVs, radio, more risque media being acceptable, all of that are things that the generation before us said ruined us. That's going to be a continuous cycle. And I believe that the moderation of tech in somebody's household is to their discretion, but for me, I would want my family to know that everything is good in moderation. And with carriers and phonemakers creating options to monitor data use and phone use, it should be something that is within a parent's control to get their families to not be on their devices all the time
    J Dubbs and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-29-2020 09:28 PM
    While there is a true addiction that's formed to constantly using smartphones, it is very much an essential item. And who wants to go to a library in today's climate? The nations are telling people to stay home, so you need to be accessible. The things we didn't need back then were of a different time. CDs were still in major production, activities outdoors were available, laptops and other technology were ridiculously priced high, and a lot of the things that were packaged in a smartphone were all separate components.

For as little as maybe 50 dollars for a great smartphone on a plan and a 45 dollar plan, you can have unlimited data on a device that is your computer, music player, and phone for under $100 a month. This was not a thing 10 years ago, or at least not as functional. Folks had to get credit checks for an iPhone ALONE, not even for the plan, but for the phone. Technology has been made affordable and attainable, and with COVID being the forefront of today's lifestyle, we need it to be affordable and attainable to maintain a living.

As far as how the kids and the youth of today are growing up depending on tech, one could say that when we grew up, we were getting exposed to a lifestyle that could be viewed as harmful according to the society that raised us. TVs, radio, more risque media being acceptable, all of that are things that the generation before us said ruined us. That's going to be a continuous cycle. And I believe that the moderation of tech in somebody's household is to their discretion, but for me, I would want my family to know that everything is good in moderation. And with carriers and phonemakers creating options to monitor data use and phone use, it should be something that is within a parent's control to get their families to not be on their devices all the time
    The truth is that both lots of good and lots of bad came from the explosion of smartphones.

Whether it's more bad than good or vice versa...is up for debate lol
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-29-2020 09:33 PM
    When phones 1st came out.
    I had a locksmith business.
    I bought a Big Panasonic phone with a strap that went around your shoulder.
    If I remember right..
    I was paying 55 cents a minute to use the phone.
    My bill for the phone was 500.00 every month.

They didn't have plans giving you a break.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-30-2020 07:03 AM
    First phone, original Motorola flip, analog, thirty minute voice plan, fifty bucks, no texting, just phone calls and access to voice mail. Early 1994. McCaw Celluar. Have kept the same cell number since
    Yes, the journey of phone numbers. When VOIP home phones became a thing, I bribed a tech in the late '80s to "give" me a number that spelled my 3 year old's name. Later ported the number to various cell phone carriers. Now it's my 33 YO son's cell number. Nice touch on business cards. Love it when a plan comes together. Told him to name his son a Jr. so he can use the number down the road, but no. Sigh, where did I fail as a father? LoL

And FYI, I agree cell phones are not a luxury.
    09-30-2020 06:50 PM
    I had the GE 1000 bag phone and actually set it up myself whenever I worked at Circuit City. My employee discount made the phone $0.01.

Now the first three and true cellphones in my family were my parents and my grandfather having satellite phones in their vehicles in the early 70s. That was an oddity to see. Expensive but they had a good purpose for what we needed them for. Last satellite phone went out of service around 2010.
    sulla1965 likes this.
    10-16-2020 06:22 AM
    I had the GE 1000 bag phone and actually set it up myself whenever I worked at Circuit City. My employee discount made the phone $0.01.

Now the first three and true cellphones in my family were my parents and my grandfather having satellite phones in their vehicles in the early 70s. That was an oddity to see. Expensive but they had a good purpose for what we needed them for. Last satellite phone went out of service around 2010.

When they had the Bag Phone. Panasonic made a Hard case phone with a shoulder strap.
    And if you remember this waw before the brick phone that was hand held.

Been trying to find some pictures on this stuff.
    Ranjen617 likes this.
    10-16-2020 08:40 AM
    You're right. I remember all of those myself. I need to dig in my storage unit and find all of mine. Lol. We used to carry bricks and weapons vs these little things. I guess that's why putting a 10k mah battery on a Note phone doesn't bother me with the size. We've seen worse case scenarios...:-)
    10-17-2020 07:56 PM
    whenever I worked at Circuit City. My employee discount made the phone $0.01.
    Ah Circuit City, I just got a lump in my throat. Also got me remembering CompUSA.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-21-2020 12:14 PM
    On a two-year contract though so there was still an ETF probably.
    10-21-2020 02:45 PM
    On a two-year contract though so there was still an ETF probably.
    Yeah, that was the only downside. But back in that day there were only two choices in my area. One Alltel and the other was Cellular One. They both were rather costly without freebies except for after 9pm and weekends. Those were the days...lol :-)
    10-21-2020 03:19 PM
71 123