New 5G BlackBerry in 2021.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I believe you but even in a sleeve that means one hand is gonna be taken by carrying it around.

Having a pocketable device has serious advantages. I bet the upcoming Astro Slide by Planet Computers will be one heck of a productivity tool.
I can only speak for myself. In the few situations where I would need to do this, it would be no problem and a huge advantage over any tiny screen.
We'll have to see what they come up with and how it sells. It will certainly appeal to some but the question is, as always, will that be enough?

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I would personally much rather carry around a slider that offers both the full screen and a physical keyboard (which wouldn't ever get in the way of said full screen) instead of having to also carry around a laptop.

Same reason for usefulness of a foldable, you can have MORE functionality that still fits in the same pocket.

But for what they’re doing, the laptop or MacBook is a requirement. For them, it’s their PKB and it’s driven by school and employer task functions

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
But for what they’re doing, the laptop or MacBook is a requirement. For them, it’s their PKB and it’s driven by school and employer task functions
Exactly.
Very few people want to nor can afford to compromise with a slider. It does not give the same funtionality. Sliders aren't new and, if they provided what people want/need, they would already be popular.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly.
Very few people want to nor can afford to compromise with a slider. It does not give the same funtionality. Sliders aren't new and, if they provided what people want/need, they would already be popular.
Even if I was a fan of PKB I would not buy this device. They may not sell enough to provide continued support.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Sliders aren't new and, if they provided what people want/need, they would already be popular.

Kind of hard for them to be popular when no one is making them.

Every alternate form factor lost to the slab early last decade around 2012 because it was the beginning of the race to the big bezel less display.
Fast forward to 2020, where we have said big displays, may not be a bad idea to explore those alternate form factors. How long can they get away with making the same looking slab over and over again?

That way, when typing (and doing so accurately) you actually get to enjoy the full display instead 40% of it being taken by a VKB.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
That's always a worry also.
It sure is, yes. I'd rather take that risk if it means having a device I enjoy using every single time I pull it out, rather than a fully supported run-of-the-mill slab which won't bring any excitement once past the honeymoon phase.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It sure is, yes. I'd rather take that risk if it means having a device I enjoy using every single time I pull it out, rather than a fully supported run-of-the-mill slab which won't bring any excitement once past the honeymoon phase.
You will only enjoy it as long as it's supported. Then it will be another search for another company to take a chance on another unwanted device. The circle continues.

Last edited:

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
You will only enjoy it as long as it's supported. Then it will be another search for another company to take a chance on another unwanted device. The circle continues.
I don't mind using an older device that's not currently being supported. I would still be using a Priv today if it didn't have that awful 808 processor.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Kind of hard for them to be popular when no one is making them.

Every alternate form factor lost to the slab early last decade around 2012 because it was the beginning of the race to the big bezel less display.
Fast forward to 2020, where we have said big displays, may not be a bad idea to explore those alternate form factors. How long can they get away with making the same looking slab over and over again?

That way, when typing (and doing so accurately) you actually get to enjoy the full display instead 40% of it being taken by a VKB.

You keep putting all this emphasis on needing the PKB for typing when the VKB is far more versatile and dependable for 99% of users. At one level, a slider is a form compromise while at different level, the PKB is a task performance compromise.

When BlackBerry and Palm first came out, part of the allure was, the shrunk mini laptop aspect. It’s been almost twenty years and we are completely different in usage patterns but you keep wanting to fit square peg in a round hole. Expressing yourself differently with the form of a phone was something people did in the 90’s and 00’s externally. Now the differentiation in 10’s and 20’s, for the ones that even care, is done internally. The first differential is Android/iOS but even that is just around few proprietary apps or features now to either platform.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
You keep putting all this emphasis on needing the PKB for typing when the VKB is far more versatile and dependable for 99% of users. At one level, a slider is a form compromise while at different level, the PKB is a task performance compromise.

When BlackBerry and Palm first came out, part of the allure was, the shrunk mini laptop aspect. It’s been almost twenty years and we are completely different in usage patterns but you keep wanting to fit square peg in a round hole. Expressing yourself differently with the form of a phone was something people did in the 90’s and 00’s externally. Now the differentiation in 10’s and 20’s, for the ones that even care, is done internally. The first differential is Android/iOS but even that is just around few proprietary apps or features now to either platform.
You're right, people don't communicate via typing on their phones anymore. They just send emojis instead.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't even buy the arguement that a PKB is better for typing. Sure it's a different feel but I find virtual faster because you can use a lighter touch. Then there's the ability to swipe one handed while holding the device with the other which you can't do on a physical keyboard. Not to mention the Note devices or other stylus compatible devices the ability to swipe even more accurately with a stylus.

In the end it does come down to preference and what's better for the individual but I just don't see PKBs making a comeback or even sustaining a niche segment while making a profit.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Sure it's a different feel but I find virtual faster because you can use a lighter touch.
Not just different, but MUCH more satisfying. If that weren't the case, believe me, my sim card would long ago dwell in my Samsung. As for speed, it depends, but it does take a bit of time (few weeks typically) to get faster on the PKB.

I just don't see PKBs making a comeback
Me neither unless one of the big two (AppleSung) implement a PKB in a clever way that doesn't eat away at screen real estate.

or even sustaining a niche segment while making a profit.
I do, but the OEM needs to carefully evaluate how many units they will probably sell, and appeal to consumers first, and the die-hards second.
In other words, a slider with a 6" bezel-less OLED screen, and a hidden keyboard for when they want it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't even buy the arguement that a PKB is better for typing. Sure it's a different feel but I find virtual faster because you can use a lighter touch. Then there's the ability to swipe one handed while holding the device with the other which you can't do on a physical keyboard. Not to mention the Note devices or other stylus compatible devices the ability to swipe even more accurately with a stylus.

In the end it does come down to preference and what's better for the individual but I just don't see PKBs making a comeback or even sustaining a niche segment while making a profit.

When I type on my Chromebook I do like having that textile feedback, but andittedly I will often take advantage of the shortcuts on my VKB to send messages.

Another thing to consider is weather. I remember using my BlackBerry to type while outside in the winter and it would be hard to do so if the keys got cold. It's easier to type on a virtual keyboard with those special fingered gloves, I find. But maybe that's just me.

FeinP1118

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I truly believe that nothing is the same anymore. Folding tech is too expensive and slabs are boring. BB incarnated and relatively inexpensive might be just what we need.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I truly believe that nothing is the same anymore. Folding tech is too expensive and slabs are boring. BB incarnated and relatively inexpensive might be just what we need.
Other than having a physical keyboard how will a Blackberry phone running Android be all that different than any other Android phone?